1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

01 Prius, rear cupholder weak or missing parts

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by 01Prius, Mar 24, 2011.

1. 01Prius

01Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My plastic cupholder in centre console facing the rear seats, seems very weak. A very small amount of pressure like a small coffee makes it pop out. I noticed it sits inside a thin metal square frame, with very weak metal. Not sure if my cupholder is missing a black foam divider part, other parts, or just that frame is weak?

I was thinking of screwing a steel mending plate to the top edge of this weak metal frame, to hold the rear cupholder in. Not sure if that will work since cupholder has a black metal spring-loaded part so it can be removed for cleaning....

If possible I'd like this cupholder to support at least a 500ml water bottle, or even better a one litre bottle without falling off.

See photos below. Perhaps a 2001 Prius owner can see if this looks like their cupholder or I'm missing parts?

Attached Files:

2. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think its a design defect. my mom has an 01 and we broke the cupholder within the first few years. granted I was 11 when we got the car and my brother was 9 and my sister 6 but still i remember it would pop off and id try to reattach it until one day it just broke for good and we tossed it.

3. 01Prius

01Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply! I'll see if I can improve the design at all, but I'm glad to hear I'm probably not missing any important parts and its a design defect.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've always thought it's a cute example of trying to peg their target market, that some day at the last minute somebody decided that whatever interior parts they were reusing for the early Prius should not be ashtrays, so they glued felt in the front one to make a coin tray and kludged up a cupholder insert for the rear one. :)

-Chap