1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'02 Gen 1 Prius will NOT go into programming mode-

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jerry G., Oct 27, 2014.

1. Jerry G.

Jerry G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey All,

So I got through my P3125 saga and am SO happy for that. Thank you all again for the great advice on that.

Anyway, I purchased a new FOB and wanted to program it for my car. After trying over 15 times, the car will not go into programming mode. I have downloaded the instructions on adding a keyfob, and by the 6th time trying I memorized them ; /. The car only came with 1 key and no fob. It would be great if I can get keyless entry working.

Anyway, am I missing something? Do the moon, sun and earth have to be perfectly aligned for this to work? Is there a way to "force' it into program mode? I've been trying since Thursday nite to do this. I'm wondering if the key I have is not working, but will still start the car? I'm not quite sure how this is all tied together.

Any thoughts anyone? Has anybody run into this before? Am I wasting my time?

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You have to have a working fob to program a new fob.

3. Jerry G.

Jerry G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmmmm.........So how do I go about that?

4. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would ask 3ProngPaul. Idk how to do that with no fob on a Gen I.

Jerry G. likes this.
  5. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There are several threads on here about that though.

6. Jerry G.

Jerry G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks USNAVYSTGC! "Non sibi sed Patriae", Semper Paratus!

7. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen1newbie and Jerry G. like this.
  8. Jerry G.

Jerry G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Paul,

I didn't think I needed a working FOB. In any case, those are the instructions I have followed 16 times now. The door locks all work fine when locking/unlocking. My key is an original BLACK key with the Toyota emblem embossed on it, so I can only assume it is a master. For whatever reason the car will not enter into program mode. The thought occurred though, does the FCC fob ID have to be HYQ12BAN for the system to sense it in order to ENTER into program mode? My fob is the correct FCC ID. Pretty frustrating!!

9. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't need any fobs near the car to ENTER programming mode, just to complete the mating process.

This will help determine if your key is Master or Valet. Watch the security indicator on the dash.

Jerry G. likes this.
  10. Jerry G.

Jerry G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Paul!!

So the video helped. I noticed when the key in the video was inserted, the "ding, ding, ding" alarm began. Mine didn't do that. I also had to turn the key all the way to ON for the security light to stop blinking. I re-confirmed my key is a master.

I decided to remove the steering column covers and look at the ignition assembly for anything "odd" like broken or pinched wire, bad key sense switch, etc. What I found was the key alarm "dinger" (sorry don't know the correct term) was unplugged! Guess someone didn't like the noise it made. Well, apparently the computer didn't sense the circuit completing, in turn not allowing the car into program mode, but allowing the car to be started and run. So, Once I plugged the "dinger" in, it sensed the key was in and the security light stopped blinking. I don't have the fob with me as I am at work, but will try programming tonight. I'm 99% sure this "fix" will allow programming now.

Its folks like you that make that little extra effort to help people like me learn and work through problems. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for your help. If you were closer by, I'd treat you to a Starbucks!

I have another question for you, but will message you on that.

Thank you again for your help and hanging in there with me!!! :)

11. Toyotadam

Toyotadam New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I know this is an old thread, but it seems Jerry G had the same problem I am having right now. I am trying to program a remote, but can't seem to get into programming mode. I have a master key, but it is not chiming when I put the key in the ignition and the door is open. I pulled off the steering column covers, but I can't find anything disconnected. What does the plug look like? maybe I am missing it. Possibly something is faulty in line with the door chime?

Thanks!

12. Jerry G.

Jerry G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Toyotadam,

If I recall the plug to the doorchime was a small connector up underneath the column attached to the chime itself. If the chime is disconnected or bad not allowing voltage to pass through, you won't get into the programming mode.Honestly I don't remember what it looks like as its been some time now.

13. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyotadam, are you sure you have a master key for that car? i.e. does the Security LED go off immediately when you insert the key into the ignition slot?

14. Toyotadam

Toyotadam New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Jerry G. Thank you for the quick response. I understand it's been a while. You seem to be the only person I can find that has had a similar problem accessing programming. I will look again tomorrow and report what I find.