1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

03 Prius Dies After Being On For 5 Seconds

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ChadPrius2003, Jun 28, 2013.

1. ChadPrius2003

ChadPrius2003 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't driven the Prius for months. The other day, I needed it and tried to start it up but of course, it was dead. I should have known that would happen but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to these things.

So, I jumped it with another car, making sure not to reverse the polarity by doing it wrong (I think I did okay) and sure enough it started...for about 5 seconds and then died. The car we were using to jump it was on just like the manual said and we pushed it to 2,000 RPM again, just like the manual said. We tried it again and it comes on for about 5 seconds and then goes right back off. We even juiced it for about 3 minutes straight at 2,000 RPM and same result.

The display comes on and the icon with a car and an exclamation mark is red.

What should I do? I guess the v12 battery is dead? Is there any way to salvage it (I'm on an extremely low budget at the moment)? If not, where is the best place to get the battery and for a good price fairly quickly?

Also, if you think it's more than just the battery, I'd like to hear your diagnosis.

ANY and ALL help is appreciated!

I have set this thread for email notifications so I'll be trying to reply in a speedy manner.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As to your problem, it sounds like your engine is not firing. The Prius will turn the engine for about 5-7 seconds using MG1 before it gives up and stalls. So it may look like the engine is running, but really the engine is just being turned by the electric motor and the HV battery pack.

Worryingly, you have done this over and over and over, meaning you are depleting your HV pack fast. I wouldn't be surprised if it is close to or at the region where it no longer has the power to start the engine meaning you will have to charge it externally.

3. ChadPrius2003

ChadPrius2003 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see, what is the solution?

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Try to figure out why the engine isn't firing. Bad sparkplugs, bad fuel, ECU problem, hydrolock, who knows. But I don't think it is actually running and then dying 5 seconds later. I think it is dead, and it just looks like it is working.

The solution to discharging your pack so severely is to recharge the battery with a special battery charger. If you do not know how to deal with electronics, this will be very expensive from the dealership. High voltage DC makes it very easy to kill you. Unlike high voltage AC (like the wall), there are no zero cross points. So with high voltage DC, once you are part of the circuit, your muscles will contract and will not let go until that connection is broken or disconnected. With AC at least you usually jiggle free with the opportunity 60 times a second.

5. ChadPrius2003

ChadPrius2003 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While electrocution is not a funny topic, that was pretty funny. I'm also very impressed with your knowledge.

Also, I forgot to add this: after we quit jumping the battery, the car wouldn't come on at all. That's why we were thinking it was the battery because in our limited knowledge, we thought it was using the jump to get started but the jump wasn't enough to keep it running. Therefore, when we quit jumping it and it wouldn't turn on at all, we just thought the battery was dead.

I have little no mechanical knowledge myself. I take it I probably just need to take it into the dealer?

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is possible that your car has other problems besides the 12V battery but you need to start by ensuring the battery is in top condition. Since the battery has been in a discharge state for a prolonged period of time, forget about trying to salvage it. The quickest place to get a new battery would be at your local Toyota dealer's parts department, however the price will be on the high side, plan on a $200+ price over the parts counter. Bring the old battery so the parts clerk can compare it to the new battery, since two different battery sizes were made available for Classic.

If you don't have mechanical knowledge (at minimum, how to replace the 12V battery without causing a problem) then you'll need to tow the car to the dealer for help. The Prius is not a good car for the neophyte to work on due to its high technology content.

7. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Exactly... bear in mind the car big battery is DC current and WILL kill you. Whenever the techs work on them at the Dealership, they are required to stand on a 1" rubber mat.

Edit:
    I see that a buncha toasters has already mentioned this. :)

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I agree with Patrick but you'll never get to the other problems without a good 12V battery. Now I don't care what battery you use but it must be good and fully charged.

The OEM battery has smaller terminals than the SAE ones we use in the USA. If you want to go cheap and good-enough, take the failing battery out and removed the B+ clamp under the red cover. Take both and to a parts store or Batteries Plus. Find one close to the same dimensions and then get:
    • SAE B+ terminal - often found on the bingo racks, the clerk can help to replace the one you brought in
    • 12" or so, ground terminal and lug - again ask the clerk
    • affordable Volt Ohm meter (VOM)
    Go back to the car and put the new battery in the spot. Install the new B+ clamp and connect to the B+ terminal. Then replace the ground cable with the new one. There will be a few 'sparklers' as the caps charge up. Use the VOM to measure the current voltage which should be between 11.8-12.85 V.

Go try to start the car . . . ONCE!

If the car still does not start, let's begin with a simple test:
    Cleaning Prius Throttle

Sticky throttle plate will have exactly the same symptoms. See if the plate is stuck. If so, get some throttle body, spray cleaner and fix it. If not, we'll have to go into more advanced debug. But try these first.

If the car starts, let it run until it shuts off by itself. This will bring the traction battery back to a good state.

Bob Wilson

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the OP has the original small GS battery, it has the smaller terminals. If the upgrade was previously done to the larger Toyota-offered Panasonic battery, the terminals will already fit SAE posts.

-Chap

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Exactly! Which is why bringing the terminal clamp with the old battery works. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

11. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If you give us your location somebody on here may be able to give you a hand rather than taking it to the stealership...

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to ask a stupid question but are you sure there are at least a couple of gallons of gas in the gas tank? Maybe take of the fuel filler cap for a bit to help release any vapor lock type situation you may have.

If you cannot retrieve the error codes, disconnect the 12V for a few seconds to clear codes before attempting to jump start it again. And time the engine with a stopwatch, it usually tries to start for 8 seconds, not 5. If it makes it to 20 seconds or more it is actually running. 8 seconds it never started.

You may have P3191 and P3101 errors which usually mean dirty throttle body/butterfly plate.