1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'06 didn't start this morning - need help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nyconrad, Mar 27, 2014.

1. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This morning I went into the garage to start my '06 Prius and all of the warning lights came on. I could hear a click on the drivers side under the dash and the A/C would momentarily come on, then turn off. The car would not start and would not turn off. I put the fob into the slot to see if that had any effect - it didn't. After several attempts to shut the car down, I held the power button for several seconds and all the lights turned off. I tried starting a second time, with same results / problem.
    I went into the house and told my wife and she said the same thing happened to her a couple of days ago, but started the second time she tried. Of course she never mentioned this to me!
    Any ideas of what is going on???

UPDATE:
    Further searching on the forum indicates that it might be the 12V aux battery going bad. I'm charging it now with a 12v / 2A charger to see if that resolves the problem ... at least temporarily.
    If so, looks like there's a trip to Toyota Parts to purchase a new battery.

2. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That sounds like possibly a low 12 volt battery.

3. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks dpeverhart. I'll be finding out shortly if that is indeed the case.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just a warning to make sure that if you try to jump start the car, Pay careful attention to polarity.