1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Prius Dead. 12 v battery and spare tire under Ice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cheeper, Feb 21, 2015.

1. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I can order a battery and hopefully find link to replace it Dealership @240.43 installed, but they r 35 miles away. Would love to avoid tow charge. Is there anything else I can do? Am alone, in rural area.
    Amazon:
    Optima Batteries 8171-767 (DS46B24R) YellowTop Prius Battery
    by Optima
    Price:$173.89 & FREE Shipping

#1 cheeper, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  2. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your dealer cost seems really cheap for install and all. Any way to charge the battery and get it to the dealer?

If not, posted below is the YouTube video that I followed...it is slow and pedantic, but it really shows you how to do it....and I had no idea what I was doing.

If you want to read about my adventure -- and it includes lots of other tips on how to know if it is the battery and lots of extra inside tips on how to replace the battery, here is the thread I started when my car was acting up:
    Won't Turn Off -- Master Warning Light on (Red Triangle) | PriusChat

cheeper likes this.
  3. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a Slow Charge 1.5 amp. Don't know if that will b enough to help. Snow storm, not going to do anything until storm over.
    Thanks for your response! Looking at youtube now. Will check your link.
    I

So Glad u posted video! Hatch is locked, battery Dead, thanks to You, I know how to unlock from inside. Thanks!

4. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can Anyone Help? My small battery and spare tire about 1/2 Frozen in water. Discovered back right window open, perhaps 1/2 inch. I don't know how high the battery is. It is almost 6 1/2 inches above the ice.
    Should I start a new thread with this?

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if all you have is the trickle charger, you can try it to see if it helps; perhaps it will get the battery up just enough to get it going so you can get a new battery. otherwise, you'll need a mechanically inclined friend.

cheeper likes this.
  6. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can I do this with the battery in the ice or should I try to take it out? Do I disconnect battery from car?

7. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the ice won't hurt the battery, just hook it up and wait a few hours to see if it helps

cheeper likes this.
  8. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks!!! I will leave battery hooked up to car.

9. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    shovlhed probably knows a lot more about this than I do.....so.....and this advice is worth just what you paid for it -- ZERO -- but, I would be worried about messing with water and electrical, and that is what ice is -- water.

If, by any strange quirk, some sort of "electrical haywire event" took place, I would think -- and I may be wrong -- that you could fry all the electronics in the car.

Not sure if it would be safe, but I would probably try something like a hairdryer to loosen the icy hold on the battery and then entirely take it out of the prius and charge it somewhere else.....just me....you might want to start a new post on this....most people on here are tired of 12V battery posts and might not look at one unless you have something unique like froze in ice battery to catch their interest

Looks like you are already hooked up....if it seems to be working....???? whom am I to say "nay."

cheeper likes this.
  10. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My internet keeps dropping off. I Agree to be Safe on the side of caution. Looking at video above. I thought about putting this in new post, but know some get Upset. I'll try, but want to keep what u 2 have said.

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Water is not a problem from a safety point of view with a 12 volt battery. The mains supply to the charger is another matter, and caution should be used there.
    Any 12 volt battery can be used to jump start the car, lawn mower, snowmobile, snow blower, even a golf cart as long as you make sure to connect + to + and - to - with no mistakes. Even the cheapest of cheap jump cables will do as the Prius does not use the 12 volt to turn the engine.
    Another replacement (direct fit) battery is the Exide FP-AGM51JIS this has a higher capacity and a longer guarantee (4 years) than the Optima.

John (Britprius)

cheeper likes this.
  12. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You have to connect the charger to the house electrical supply, and it is that supply that requires caution with water around. The output of the charger "12 volts" is not a danger.
    If you are struggling with the battery negative terminal follow the wire to where it is fastened to the car body just below the rear light and undo that bolt. removing the battery with the wire still attached. Most find this easier. Fit the wire to the new battery before fitting in place. Then re attach to the body.

John (Britprius)

cheeper likes this.
  14. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The outlet is outside on electric pole so Hopefully it is good.
    Got the battery cover off with WD40.
    So I can stop trying to take battery out and charge it there in melting ice? Hair dryer been on as I do a step, come back in read next step, try to find right tool.

Battery out, inside home, charging. Good for 6 volts, charging for 12. Whew! Could Not b a mechanic!
    Now to bail water/ice out of car.

It is good I got battery out, lot of ice under where battery was.

Thanks for All your help, felt Good to have your support, experience and guidance! ♥

What is the Best battery to get, if needed. Does it need too come from Toyota?

#14 cheeper, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It does not need to come from Toyota. Exide in the US would be my choice. The Optima is getting a poor reputation of late, but price and availability are factors. Living the other side of the Atlantic makes it difficult to guide you on purchasing.

John (Britprius)

16. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks! :) If this battery gets charged, can I trust it or should I order a new one? From what I've read, am amazed it has lasted this long. Low mileage on car.

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If it is the original order a new one. Five years is a reasonable life seven years is very good. Being discharged and frozen will have done it no good at all.

John (Britprius)

18. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    no disrespect meant, but exide used to suck. (not as bad as hoppecke, they explode) interstate was better, but I don't know if they make 1 for the gen2. the dealer battery is good too.

ice doesn't matter at 12v at all.

19. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks, guys!! That battery is almost 7 yrs. A bit nervous til I get new one. Planned to order on line, will check locally, but not a big area here.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my daughters '08 just died after 4 days at the airport. they jumped it and she's home, but i advised her to get a new battery. if your battery is 6 volts, that's a very bad sign.