1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Prius Surges forward when Parked?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stormtrooper1, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi-
    I owned a 09 Prius for 8 weeks, and after a total loss accident, we replaced it with a 08 Touring model.

I have never experienced anything like this with the 09, but have multiple times on the 08 (though no real rhyme or reason as to when/why)

The originally happened the night we picked up the 08. I stopped at target to pick up some milk while the wife sat in the car. the car was left in ready mode. when the ICE engaged the car "surged" forward and was enough to startle my wife (who was the usual driver of the 08) enough for her to think the car was not in park (which it was)

We tried to recreate it after i was finished at the store, and while the car did rock forward, it was not as pronounced as the first time (though much more then We feel the car should move upon the ICE starting.)

Took the car back to toyota, and they preformed a full inspection and stated that everything was within toyota's spec, and to keep an eye on it if it were to happen again.

Well it has done this about 5 times in the last few days. The Dealer is looking in to it, but has anyone had similar experiences?

I understand you can feel slight movement when the ICE turns on/off our 09 did that. but this really feels like the car is just going to keep rolling.

It's kind of like when you stop a regular car on a incline, and put the car into park, and it will often roll backwards. though this is forwards.

Is there something wrong with the Park setting in my Transmission?

I hope all my rambling here makes sense....
    Thanks for the Help!
    Mike

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Mike,

It is certainly possible that the parking pawl within the transaxle in your 2008 has a bit more play compared to your 2009. Nevertheless, when you have the Prius in P, and want to leave the car READY, then you should also set the left-foot-operated parking brake. Then the car will not move at all, when the engine decides to start up.

3. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think it would just be play in the parking pawl myself, but what makes me question it is that fact that it is pretty intermittent. Even in the same parking space (at the wife's work for example) most times it's fine, and then at random it rolls.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can tell for yourself how much play you have in your parking pawl. With the car parked and the engine off, go to the back of the car and push it forward until the parking pawl stops you. Then go to the front of the car and push it backwards until the pawl stops you. This is the total amount of play between the transaxle and the parking pawl.

The amount of movement when the engine starts in park depends on where the weight of the car lands when the parking pawl is engaged.

That is why Patrick suggests the parking brake if this movement concerns you.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to use the e-brake. (left pedal)

6. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    More or less normal. My 08 does it as well. Use the e-brake.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Parking brake, please. If you're in an emergency it's already too late.

8. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i have the same thing
    nothing to wurry about i guess there is just more play for the prius to move.
    your 09 was newer and you went back to a older moddel with more miles on it?
    just wear and tear ;-)

9. Cessna157

Cessna157 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have an '07 and occasionally when the ICE starts, the car will roll an inch or 2 forward. It has done it for most of the car's life, as long as I can remember anyway. Never have really thought anything more of it other than it is just rolling into the parking prawl. If you are uncomfortable with it, the parking brake will prevent it from doing it. But I wouldn't be too worried

10. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This happens all the time in my 04, it can be quite startling to passengers. Probably nothing you can do about it, put the ebrake on next time.

11. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1

-Brad

12. Jaay Dee

Jaay Dee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 08 does that too..When it goes from Gas to Elec. it surges foward, but nothing that could do any harm. If you dislike the sudden "surge", I learned that you can put on the parking brake at stops (stores, drivethroughs, etc.) and it will be less significant. Hope this helps.

Justin

13. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to add my 2¢'s worth.... I have it happen to me all the time, I park on hills, first time it happened, "YEOW!!!"
    I did however learn that lesson quite fast! So now I hit the far left brake everytime!
    Expect to have it happen again, but now your ready for it!!!