1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

10,000 mile oil change I don't think so

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by heyphillip, Apr 21, 2014.

1. heyphillip

heyphillip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm changing minds at every 5,000 to be on the safe side.I think that is crazy to recommend an oil change at 10,000 intervals.

orenji likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to 1984, let us know when you are able to join us in 2014.

mtbiker53, cwerdna, telmo744 and 6 others like this.
  3. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    5,000 is overkill IMO. Get the 5k an 10k oils tested and have a look at the results. It also depends on how much your ice is on

cwerdna likes this.
  4. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seriously, when was the last time you heard someone say they kept their car for like a million miles, and it's all original due to shorter duration oil changes? How long did you keep your previous vehicle and how many miles? You won't be able to keep you car long enough to benefit from the waste of money on additional oil changes. It will benefit you for peace of mind, but will be of no benefit to the car. Remember when auto companies had you change the oil every 3k miles, then upped it to 5k, then 7.5k? Some companies still require them at 7.5k, but they're running dino oil, not fully synthetic. Cars are actually built much better than they ever used to be and same can be said for oils. The technology for both have advanced dramatically, even in the last 10 years. Unless you're driving under some really harsh conditions, no reason to change the oil earlier.

Seanzky and Tony D like this.
  5. heyphillip

heyphillip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just traded a 2012 Civic in for my Prius.I changed the oil in that car whenever the maintancr reminder got to 15 percent usually at about 5800 miles

6. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had two cars with over 200,000 miles, both of which had the oil done every 10,000 miles or so. Neither burnt any oil. That's my experience.

The oil gets changed in our CR-V every year, which is every 6,000-8,000 miles. Only because of time, not because of mileage. It still looks like new when it's changed, but just a habit now and no harm in getti g it done before its test every year.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i change minds once a year.;)

jackiedjokeman likes this.
  8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are as many different opinions on the correct oil change interval as there are members on here. If it makes you sleep better at night to change it at 5000 miles then by all means do it.

Toyota recommends the 10k mile intervals and the Used Oil Analysis reported on here support the fact that you can go 10k miles and closer to 15k miles with the new synthetic oils and oil filters.

I change mine at 5000 mile intervals for my own piece of mind. Along with the fact that it gives me a reason to get under the car and check for fluid leaks, CV joint boot tears, etc. more often.

orenji likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Toyota Canada engine oil and filter change interval is 8000 km (roughly 5000 miles) or 6 months, whichever comes first. Keep in mind, Toyota is the company that also tells you you'll never need to change the transaxle fluid.

It's your car, there's nothing inherently wrong with shortening the intervals. It all depends on your priorities.

orenji, frodoz737 and jdcollins5 like this.
  10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As recently as 1992, OCI recommendations was 7500 miles. All three 1992 model vehicles my family owned had that recommendation.

In 2001, Honda increased the interval to 10k miles all on regular dino oil. My 2006 Civic with a maintenance minder system regularly reminded me to change oil at 10k miles. I always changed it at exactly 0%.

I think 10k miles is too short using synthetic. I would like to extend to 15k or more like. But I'll follow the owners manual for now.

iPhone ?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder how much oil could be saved, worldwide, if changes were extended. i know some gets recycled, but what is done with it?

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Yeah, this is the one big downside for more frequent changes. Not only more waste oil, but more used oil filters, and oil contaminated plastic containers. There are companies that deal responsibly with all of this, but it involves a fair amount of energy.

Just a few tips for the DIY'r:

1. When pouring in bottles of fresh oil, take the time to let them drain as completely as possible.

2. Especially if you're increasing frequency of oil change, consider changing the filter only at alternate changes. Honda's oil change schedules currently do this, though the dealerships ignore it. If you're concerned about the cup of used oil trapped in the filter, you can remove, drain and re-install it.

3. When bringing used oil in for recycling, if possible get them to pour it out and return your container for reuse.

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^ I take my used oil to Advance Auto. They have a tank in the back of the store where they receive the used oil. They send the oil out to be recycled.

14. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey, Phillip:
    I see that you are new here so maybe you missed the HUNDRED or so previous threads that talked about this.......OK maybe a slight exaggeration, but not much.

The consensus seems to be:
    1) With the recent advances in oil technology (synthetic mostly) there should be absolutely no problem going near to 10K miles between oil changes........IF you don't abuse the car and actually use oil designated for extended change intervals.
    2) Having said that, the second consensus is: Do whatever makes you feel that what you are doing is the right thing for YOU.......and don't deride others who make a choice different than yours.

OH, and in the future, a comment like you made would really fit better IN one of those other existing threads.......instead of starting the hundred-and-first thread about exactly the same subject. :)

elementnomore likes this.
  15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ Good Tips.

I'm one of those Luddites that do 5k changes, but "my' Prius is a company car, and they use a 5k change interval as well.

In my never to be humbled opinion, this is a very circular argument.

If you're comfortable with 10K change intervals (in the US) then Toyota will happily back your decision...for at least 5yrs/60,000 miles. I personally think that you'll be OK for much longer.

I do self maintenance, and a 5K interval gives me a good chance to crawl under the car (or truck) and look everything over. If I were paying to have this service done and/or only wanted to keep the car for 100K?
    I'd probably not bother with the 5K interval either.

Your Car.
    Your Choice.

frodoz737 likes this.
  16. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course, if you use your Prius for NYC taxi service, 5K oil change intervals are probably the better way to go. There are other circumstances like constant driving on dusty dirt roads, if you tow anything, or drive "like you stole it" all the time, then shorter oil changes intervals couldn't hurt.

17. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We have a 2012 Civic also with over 50k on it now and the maintenance minder has oil changes a little over 10k. Its 10k under normal service or 1 year. I would assume you were not doing 10k a year.

If you want to refute Toyota's engineers then get a used oil analysis and prove everyone wrong.

We have two 2006 Civics at work that go strictly by the maintenance minder on conventional oil which is usually near 10k and with 120k now and no problems.

If you want to go oil crazy join bosistheoilguy.com. I just put in good quality oil and filters and follow the manufacturers recommendation.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In Canada Toyota's engineers are saying 8000 km (~5000 miles). Don't kid yourself that the oil change interval is decided purely on engineering requirements. They're in the business of selling cars.

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've always thought this to be true. I think although the oil can go further based on oil analysis however dirty oil is something that shouldn't be in your engine. At 10,000 miles, I really think that's excessive for people that do short stop and go trips even with high quality synthetic oils.

I personally would prefer just using dino oil and changing out every 5000 miles when your maintenance light comes on. Why spend the extra money on synthetics? Dino oil has been around forever and nothing has ever been proven inferior with the product.

20. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OP- consider doing your first OC at 5k mi, then subsequent changes every 10k mi?
    The Prius is pretty easy on engine oil- especially being that the Prius hardly ever idles at red lights, etc.

For peace of mind- get your used oil analyzed... Blackstone Labs

cwerdna likes this.