1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100% lower grille block question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by TNGator, Jan 28, 2013.

1. TNGator

TNGator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The high temp tomorrow will be at or very near 70 F. I have my lower grille blocked 100% and no scanguage to monitor engine temps. I will be driving about 30 miles in the warmer temps tomorrow. Will I be okay or should I unblock the lower grille? The high temps should only last one day then back to highs in the 30's. I don't want to mess with it, but I really don't want to damage the engine. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is easy driving you should be fine. High rpm driving or lots of heavy traffic is not go though. I wouldn't recommend it if the temps were going to stay above 60F.

3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I took one of the three grill blocks off and temp at the highetst was 180.today was 73 deg

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Trip length and time running is important. It would be very helpful to include those numbers. A short duration trip in 70F temps is no big deal but an hour long commute could be a problem. That is when MG temps really start to climb!

5. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i unblock 50% when temps will rise above 60f and I'm not monitoring temps.

That said, last fall when temps were around 75-80f I full blocked the lower and monitored temps on a 30 minute rush hour commute. AC Max with heavy foot the temps did rise enough to trigger the electric cooling fan to run, but it did not approach the accepted overheat level.

Play it safe and remove some blocking. THEN on the day you do forget, you probably don't have much to worry about if conditions aren't too extreme

ThunderBolt ? 2

6. TNGator

TNGator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guys. Just got in and the car did very well. 58.5 mpg for 30 miles. The warm temps really make a difference in mpg. Back to cold weather the rest of the week.