1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100k Mile Maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jdcollins5, Aug 29, 2015.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I cannot believe my Prius has 100k miles. Bought it August 2009 and now in August 2015 it already has 100k miles. I have just completed the 100k mile maintenance.
    • Changed oil and filter
    • Changed Transaxle fluid - ATF WS - A HF Multi-use Transfer Pump can make this a one man job. I was able to pump most of the old fluid out before removing the drain plug and controlled spillage. Then pumped it back in from under the car.
    • Changed Engine and Inverter Coolant - SLLC - An Airlift device makes this so simple. Drain, pull a vacuum and then refill. No air bleeding.
    • Checked under side of engine with engine cover off - No leaks, CV joints look good, no problems that I can see.
    • Changed spark plugs - Denso SC20HR11 - Removing the wiper arms, motor and cowl is not as complicated as it sounds. Once removed you have unobstructed access to the coil and plugs. (Yea I know the maintenance manual says 120k miles but to me 100k is enough.). Note: The Prius spark plugs are smaller than normal so I had to get a 9/16" socket.
    • Checked front and rear brake pads - pads still looked new - front pads about 7mm and rear pads 9mm.
    • Checked wheel bearings - no looseness and turn smoothly.
    • Checked and cleaned Engine Air and Cabin Air Filters.
    • HV Battery seems to doing fine. I constantly monitor with SGII and occasionally with more detail with Engine Link. It looks like it has survived another hot summer with no noticeable changes.
    I have attached the parts order from the dealer since some of the part numbers have changed since the last time I bought some of the items.

Ready for the next 100k miles.

Attached Files:

#1 jdcollins5, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Spindifferent, Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great work and write up, thanks! the good thing about doing the plugs early is that they are not as frozen. how did they look? was that your first tranny fluid change?

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The spark plugs looked fine other than discolored due to the heat. The Iridium pad still looked good. My thoughts exactly about replacing the plugs early. The first couple of turns were really tight so I took it very easy. Once past the first couple of turns they eased right out.

As for the transaxle fluid change, no this is my third. I replaced it at 25, 50 and now 100k miles. The fluid was not nearly as dark as the first time but still much darker than the new ATF. The first time the fluid had a burnt smell to it. I did not smell this the last two times.

bisco likes this.
  4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have kept a spreadsheet on my maintenance cost and schedules since I bought the car new. I have included everything that I have purchased to maintain this car, this includes two new sets of tires and one 12V battery. The rest is fluids, filters, wiper blade refills, etc.

The total I have spent on maintenance is $3,417.00.

So at 100,000 miles this comes to $0.034 per mile.

Other than cost to maintain and whatever mods I have done, this car has not cost me another dime. Everything else has been covered by Warranty, Safety Recalls, or TSB's.

My first Toyota. The Gen 3 Prius has had some issues but so far Toyota has done a decent job of correcting their issues.

My other car is a 2007 Honda Accord 4-cylinder. I have also kept a spreadsheet on this.
    The total maintenance cost for the Honda was $3,387 at 100k miles..

So the Honda was also at $0.034 per mile.

I was a buy American for so many years but I have to give it to these Japanese cars. I understand GM and Ford have also improved their quality but it will probably be a while before I buy American again.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good prices, like that.

One rant: what is it with car dealership invoices, is it absolutely mandatory to come up with unintelligible descriptions? For example:

"REPLACEABLE ELEME"

jdcollins5 likes this.
  6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is like it is 20 years ago and there are limited number of characters available for the description!!

Mendel Leisk likes this.