1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

107 mpg. 1,100 mile tank. Enginer system back on track.

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by ericbecky, Jun 30, 2011.

1. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    No. The EV Mod (regardless of flavor) simply puts the Prius into EV mode. The enginer kit puts additional power into the HV battery to reduce gas consumption and allow EV mode more frequently.

2. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Gun,
    I am not sure I am understanding your question. But I would like to make a couple of related comments that I have experianced with several new Enginer users.

1. The Enginer user needs a ScanGauge. Without it there is really no a good way to know if the ICE is spinning. Users drop out of EV and do not know that it happened. Also BTA, BTV, and SOC in X gauges help the user to know how the Enginer converter is working. Finally, Many times, a well tuned Enginer system will triger error codes. The ScanGauge enables reading and reseting the codes and also gives the information needed to avoid getting these codes.

2. The Enginer system poorly impliments EV. You get EV one time when you start the system. If you pop out of EV then it does not reingage without turning the Enginer system off and then on again. I strongly suggest having a EV button like the coastal EV in addition to the Enginer system. Also have that button easy and quick to get to while you are driving. I put mine on the Headlight flasher arm.

Thanks,
    Dan

[email protected] and MJFrog like this.
  3. Gun owning Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    so basically i can turn my ev mod button on and combined with enginer run in electric longer?

4. Gun owning Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    alot to learn thanks for the input i definitely need a scan guage hear alot if great things About it. Pretty much my question was when driving with the enginer pack is it like driving with the coastal tech mod. As far as the pressure i can put on the pedal without getting kicked out of ev mode. Kinda confusing lol.

5. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. But remember that EV mode cuts out at >32 mph. If you're in S4, you MAY be able to run all electric at higher speeds. YMMV.

6. Gun owning Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    s4? Ymmv? Sorry new to the Prius world still learning the abbreviations. Well kinda sounds like enginer is the way for me to go, i love my coastal tech and have actually improved my gad milage by around 3-4 mpg when i use it responsibly.

7. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    S4 = Stage 4; the engine status where the Prius is most efficient. Typically occurs after coolant temp exceeds 157F and you go through the 'idle check' 'ceremony'. Basically, at a stop, the engine will idle for 7-10 seconds and then shut down rather roughly. When this occurs the ECU (engine control unit) is going through a series of tests to verify it's at top efficiency. Afterwards, as long as the engine temp and catalytic converter temps are within acceptable ranges, the car will favor using the battery over the ICE if the SOC is within certain limits. (ICE = Internal Combustion Engine; SOC = battery State Of Charge--usually expressed as a percent between 40--80.)

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary. Meaning you probably will not get exactly the same results.

8. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The main limitation of the Enginer kit is that its only able to put a max of ~16A into the HV system. This is no where near enough current to sustain higher speed EV driving, and would even be marginal for sustained lower speed EV driving. Its prime application IMHO is for people with long commutes. If you are driving for an hour, it doesn't matter if you run EV for 15 minutes and then drive at 50mpg or just get the 16A "boost" for the whole hour. At the end of the trip your total mpgs would be similar.

In a sense you are right, EV driving would be similar to stock with the coastal mod. The Enginer kit might make it a little less likely to fall out of EV when accelerating than stock, and might let you stay in a little longer when cruising. But the speed limitations will be the same, and eventually the stock battery will fall too low in SOC to maintain EV as it has to supplement the current from the Enginer kit.

The user data posted in this thread is from a fairly "ideal" Enginer commute, about an hour at 45mph as I recall. For such a case, there's little reason to spend more on a kit that can put out more power. For a shorter commute, or a lot of city stop and go driving a higher current capable kit should yield better results but at an additional cost.

9. Wai-Ping

Wai-Ping Ping

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Gun,
    To get S4 from start install this.

A Prius ECT Spoofer MCU Controlled | PriusChat

I had this intalled 2 months ago, took me less than 1 hour to fit it only 3 wires.
    I had my enginer kit for 2 years now, after installing the ect spoofer got better mpg.
    PM ccdisce he sell them.

Wai

lopezjm2001 likes this.
  10. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got another set of photos from this customer.
    Even much higher mpg than the title of this thread.

Last tank: 124.8 m.p.g.

Drove 1,610 miles using only 12.9 gallons

[email protected] likes this.