1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt battery replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by grandpaD, Oct 14, 2014.

1. grandpaD

grandpaD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am changing my 12 volt battery tomorrow, anyone know of a better than normal post about doing it? I shouldn't have a problem as I know which end of a wrench to hold but looking for some pointers on making it go smoothly.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Disconnect the negative first and connect the negative last. Also it's helpful to have a 10mm socket and extension

3. grandpaD

grandpaD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, getting tools lined up right now.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A few tips:

1. Disconnect the negative cable where it bolts to the body, rather than trying to remove the cable connector at the 12V battery. Swap the cable to the new 12V battery while you have both batteries out of the car.
    2. Remove the brake power supply which is located next to the 12V battery, for improved access. You will need 10 mm and 12 mm sockets for that. There is no need to remove the wiring harness connector leading to the power supply.
    3. It is not necessary to totally remove the red plastic cover over the positive battery terminal. Just bend it up enough for access to the terminal nut.
    4. When installing the new battery, first mount the traction battery duct that runs over the 12V battery before you tighten any other hardware. If you drop the screw that holds the duct in place, it is pretty easy to remove the duct, lift up the 12V battery, find the screw and try again. If you save this for the last step, then when you lose the screw you'll be tempted not to find it, which would be an example of poor workmanship.
    5. You might avoid losing that screw by using Vaseline or a similar heavy grease in the socket to hold the screw in place.

5. PriusToo

PriusToo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not for sure if it applies, but sometime one of those ratcheting 10 mm closed end wrenches help out.
    Just make sure it's a well made one.

#5 PriusToo, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three