1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v Battery change 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kornkob, Jan 30, 2012.

1. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So the company I work for has a 2007 Prius. Apparently the people who share the use of that vehicle ignored a bunch of warning signs that the battery was going until it was far too late. Then they let it sit for a couple weeks while they ordered a new battery.

So now they have a new battery sitting in the back seat and the old battery is dead as a doornail (no response to the fob at all).

Good news for me, though, is that I can get experience with changing the battery in this Prius so that when the time comes for my own battery change, I'll be able to do it with a lot more confidence.

Here's the rub: I'm not seeing any 'step-by-step' directions for changing this battery. Perhaps my Google-fu is simply failing me. It seems like this would be a pretty heavily documented process, given the frequency with which people have had to change these batteries.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Funny how searching for "12V Battery Replacement" doesn't actually turn up that thread as a first page search result.

Thank you!

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It does for me; it came up #1. The key is to use a Google search like this (from google.com):

Leave out the spaces before and after the ":". I had to put them in to keep PC from making a smiley face.

Tom

5. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    ah-- that's the difference-- I was using the forum's search function. Silly me.

6. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Battery change successful.

Took me about an hour from touching the car to walking away, including resetting the auto window feature and the radio stations. The only 'problem' I had was that I set one of the bolts down 'out of order' so it made for a confusing situation during reassembly when I was reversing the process. (when disassembling something I tend to make a line out of the parts removed in the order they were removed in order to facilitate reassembly)

1 person likes this.
  7. Mike N

Mike N New Member

I have a 2004 Prius delivered new January 2004. Original 12v battery finally went last month. 7 years and 94,000 miles! 12v battery change was a snap. Not as easy as changing a normal car's battery. But if you are able to look at something and figure out what nut/screw has to come out to remove it, you will have no trouble. Only unusual step was removing the HV battery vent tube. Two screws. No big deal. A long socket extension helped with the bolt next to the body. I went with the Optima. It will probably outlast the rest of the car.
    The car had weird symptoms when the battery was getting weak. I would turn the car off when parking but it would still beep at me when the door was opened to get out. The beeping would stop when the door was closed. If I left it like that, the 12v battery would be drained by the next day requiring a jump start to close the relays for the drive battery. If I powered on and off the car a couple of times. It would stop beeping while exiting the car. And then it would start the next morning. A small portable battery jump starter worked every time to kick start it.
    Cool trick! Put the jump starter battery on the jump starting terminals in the fuse box under the hood while you are replacing the 12v battery. All the settings and radio stations are maintained after the job. Watch polarity!!!
    While I was in the battery compartment, there is a rubber drain plug in the floor behind the battery. You can not see it when the battery is in place. I ran a wire through the plug. Tied one end into the back up light socket. The wire was from a water proof strip of LEDs stuck to the bumper just at the lower spoiler line. The wire was easily run between the spoiler and wheel well liner to the drain plug. The strip provides light right at the curb to assist parallel parking at night. The 5050 series LEDs are very bright. People have asked about it many times.

8. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't think the Prius is so special with its trunk battery, many old Cadillacs have their battery in the trunk or under the rear seats and I hear they're a pain in the arse to replace as well.

Quick question: I don't have a portable jump start battery, mine is just a regular 110V battery charger with settings like 2amp (trickle), 10/20amp (charging) and 75amp (jump start), does anyone know if a charger should be hooked up to the jump start terminal during a battery change and what setting should I use?? Of course the charger is microprocessor controlled, so when I disconnect the old 12V battery during the change I think the charger would just stop and come up with either an Error code or battery full message. Nonetheless I'd like to hear from people who have tried this.