1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Battery Location & Access

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wildfire, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Wildfire

Wildfire New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Having managed to stump the guys in the service department at the local dealership, I thought it worth mentioning where the 12V battery is located in the C. Though its location is no great secret (it's depicted pretty well in the owner's manual), I thought it worth mentioning that it is such a pain in the rear to get to that you might want to experiment with it a couple of times before the battery goes dead in the (hopefully!) distant future on some cold winter morning..

Unlike a normal car, the battery is not under the hood. It's not even in the trunk like on most Prii. Nope, it's located under the right rear passenger seat. Access is accomplished by pushing in the middle of two round tabs located just under the seat (the key works great for this) and pulling out the tabs entirely before pulling the cover outwards from the door-side edge.

Not sure how you'd ever get under there to hook up jumper cables; need to double-check the manual to make sure there is no place more convenient such as under the hood...

2. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    nope... as mentioned in the owner's manual.. you jump it from that spot.

yea.. no big secret if people actually read their owner's manual like they should :)

3. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The location is optimal for weight distribution. Consider your C a high performance hybrid with race inspired battery location hehe.

4. Iconn127

Iconn127 Master Diagnostic Technician

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    its also jumpable from the engine room fuse/relay box and and ground on an acceptable grounds

5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One of the first things I had to do. I wanted to further explore removing the backseat for access, a la VW.
    Never got around to it and sold it. My wife could not drive anymore. but, a fun car.

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Holy thread resurrection Andy.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota omitted engine bay jumpstart connection on early c's only, which has some responders confused.

I'd agree (very belatedly) with @Wildfire: you'd want to check it out sooner than later, familiarize yourself with access.

Maybe wiring in an aftermarket jumpstart connector would help?

(I feel like one of the "walking dead" btw.)

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    6 years old guys... this has been discussed and corrected. At the time the OP posted this, there was no jump terminal...

Feb/March 2013 introduced the jump terminal on most of the C's. There were still a small few that skirted through the factory on the old fuse box, but not many.