1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V battery + lojack = problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by whodat, Apr 19, 2012.

1. whodat

whodat Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Lojack will drain the Prius 12V auxillary battery and is a bad idea.

When I bought my 2006 Prius from the dealer, they would only sell the car with lojack installed (which of course they charged me an extra $750). It turns out lojack drains the battery and if the lojack internal battery is not replaced, the drain on the Prius 12V aux battery is higher.

Since 2006 I have experienced several dozen times the dashboard warning lights come on with the right triangle and I would lose power braking and power steering. Stopping the car and starting the car fixed the problem. The dealer maintenance department could not diagnosis this problem to a root cause since so many error messages were generated.

So I took off the lojack a year ago and have not experienced this problem since.

I now believe root cause is the 12V aux battery voltage would drop below a critical voltage where the on board computer would malfunction and get wedged and report lots of error messages. Turning the car off and on again resets the computer.

I hope this helps someone who might be experiencing the same problem and who has Lojack installed.

Dave

2. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently the toyota DENSO battery is not resistant to a deep discharge, do it just once and the battery becomes toast. check out my thread on how to get the custom Johnston controls Optima battery for under $125 with an advance auto coupon, ebates 12% cash back and $25 optima mail in rebate. You're going to need one sooner or later and with this deal it becomes much cheaper than a toyota DENSO battery.

I have recommended an optima for anyone using a subwoofer or auxillary amp, but it looks like it would be good for anyone using Lojack as well.

3. jasoninmass

jasoninmass Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not so sure about all that. I have a 2010 Prius w/LoJack for around 8 months and havent had any issues.

4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well OP claims to have a problem, perhaps people with gen II Prius complained about the Lojack battery being insufficient so they beefed it up for the gen III model, explaining why you don't have a problem.

I think an Optima is a wise choice for any Prius owner, but if you are running extra non-Toyota accessories using an Optima goes from a wise decision to a necessary one.