1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Battery near-dead after charging HV battery :-(

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by iluvmacs, Oct 17, 2014.

1. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My 2012 PiP just started exhibiting some strange behavior with the 12V battery a few weeks ago, and I'm having trouble determining the actual cause. I haven't been able to determine yet if the battery needs replacement, or if the DC-DC converter isn't charging it properly. Several times the car has either been unable to start, or has just barely been able to get enough power to start from the 12V battery. I took it to the dealership after the second time this happened, and they checked the 12V battery and of course said "no problem found". Then it's happened twice more since and I started investigating further on my own.

I started to notice a pattern that it's always been at a time that is just after a charging session, coupled with needing to start the car twice (i.e. once to move the car in the driveway, then a second time later on to drive for real -- thus putting a bit more of a burden on the 12V battery, but nothing unreasonable). Normally, I use an L2 station at home, and sometimes an L1 charge when away from home. The 12V problem has been much more prevalent right after we've done an L1 charge (i.e. when it takes twice as long). This led me to the idea that maybe the 12V battery just is getting drained. My understanding is that the 12V battery should be maintained/recharged whenever the HV battery is being charged from the wall. During this time, the DC-DC converter should be running and keep the 12V system alive and well, since the computers need power during the charging session, and you don't want to drain the 12V battery every time. Thus, if it's not charging it properly, it will be much worse off on a 3-hour L1 charge than a 1.5-hour L2 charge.

So, here's the results of a more controlled experiment I did last night, purposefully doing an L1 charge at home and measuring the 12V battery at various times. This resulted in perfectly reproducing the PiP being unable to start, as well, so I definitely nailed the steps to reproduce (which of course the dealership didn't know when I first took it there).
    1) PiP comes home for the day, had just been out on a long drive, so 12V battery has been topped off by car running normally. HV battery is near-empty, ready for a charge. 12V battery measures a healthy 12.4V with the car off.
    2) Plug in car to L1 EVSE. Battery now reads 12.1V.
    3) 90 minutes of charging later, battery reads 11.6V.
    4) After 120 mins: still 11.6V
    5) After 150 mins, it had finished HV charging: 12.0V
    6) Turned car to ig-on mode: Battery immediately falls to 10V and falling below that fast (dropping 0.1V every second!). I turn it off in about 10 seconds, after it's around 9.0V.
    7) A few seconds after PiP turned off: rebounds to 11.0V
    8) Tried to start to Ready mode and failed (dashboard flickers, won't start). Turned it off immediately, battery reads 9.7V.
    9) Plugged in L1 EVSE (thankfully enough 12V power to start the charging process!), slooooowly went up to 11.6V, then 12.0V over the next minute or so.
    10) Charging stopped after 2-3 mins (since it didn't really need to charge the HV battery more). Now the 12V battery reads 10.5V.
    11) Plug in 12V battery tender and go to bed :)

So, the obvious thought is the 12V battery isn't too healthy and maybe needs replacement. BUT:
    - The dealership tested it and said it was fine. (Need to take it somewhere else for a second opinion)
    - We were just out of town for a week, and when we came back the PiP started fine. It doesn't seem to lose charge if it's just sitting there.
    - The car is only 2.5 years old! I know that 12V battery issues are "known" in the Prius, but this seems way too early for that, and my 2006 Prius never needed 12V battery help for the 7+ years I owned it.

So what's the deal with the DC-DC converter?
    - When the car is in Ready mode, the 12V system is at a completely normal 14-14.2V, indicating that it's charging the 12V battery as expected.
    - Why does the 12V system seem to want to go to 11.6V when the HV system is charging? Shouldn't it be at 14V then as well? Seems like it's actually DIScharging my 12V battery during that time!
    - It doesn't seem completely failed since on my second plug-in attempt it did at least go from 9.7V to 11.6V. Just seems way too low of a voltage to actually charge the battery.

I don't really want to take it back to the dealership until I am reasonably confident that it has a DC-DC converter problem. If it's really just the 12V battery, that's not under warranty, and I don't need to pay them $300+ to replace that (or even just an hour of "wasted" labor for them to come to that conclusion). They already wasted my time once.

Does anyone know more about how the DC-DC converter should be charging the 12V battery while the car is plugged in and charging the HV battery? Can someone else go measure their 12V system on their PiP while charging? It would be most helpful to know if another car is at the same 11.6V as mine is during that time, or the more "expected" 14V.

The 12V battery probably remains the more likely culprit, but I'd like to make a more educated decision on what to do next. I'd hate to start burning through 12V batteries because the car just isn't keeping it maintained properly.

Thanks for reading this far -- I wanted to capture as much info as possible. We really need to fix this ASAP, as right now we are worried about the car being able to start every time we need to drive it!

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    First, What is the 12v voltage in "ready" mode? If it is near 14v, there is no problem with your inverter charging system. The dealer does NOT know how to test these batteries. They almost always say that it is good, even when it is obvious that the battery is very weak. Next time you come home from a drive and the 12v battery is above 12v, let it sit for a few hours without charging your PIP battery. You will probably see the same voltage drop and then replace the 12v battery with a new fully charged one.

JeffD

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Duplicate post, sorry.

JeffD

4. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As stated: "When the car is in Ready mode, the 12V system is at a completely normal 14-14.2V"
    I only question it because I would have expected the same 14V when it is in HV-charging mode. But, it could be completely different and I am just making a poor assumption :).

Thanks for the tip, a good thing to try.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Toyota did a great job, in general, when designing and manufacturing our Prii, but the design isn't perfect as there are some shortcomings. It would make sense for the 12v charging circuit to be active when charging the PIP battery, but at least in yours, it appears not to. You could separately put the 12v battery under charge to compensate (use a good maintenance charger), but that is for the future. For now run the test I suggested and then replace the 12v battery.

JeffD

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in your scenario, #1, i'm not sure 12.4 volts is that 'healthy' at that point, and certainly looks bad after that. what is the history of the car and 12 volt battery? did you get the car fresh from the factory? has the 12v ever been run down in the past by leaving a light on and etc.?

7. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nominal voltage would be 12.6V, right? I figure that's close enough, especially since I'm measuring from the battery terminal in the front fuse box instead of at the battery itself.

8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The easy way to convince the dealer that it's not the battery is to just replace the battery and see if the problem goes away.

Most likely, it's the battery. Really, I think you're over-thinking this. A new one is about $100, I think. How many non-starts and diagnostic tests are you going to run to save $100?

The last bad battery scenario I had was with a minivan. They tested the battery and said it was fine. But replacing the battery 100% solved my problem.

Replace your battery first.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a new battery should be 13 or higher. it's always a difficult call, but short of someone with extensive knowledge of the charging system, i think you're on the right track.

10. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dealer wants $190 for the battery at the parts department. The Optima YellowTop battery is $210 locally and only as low as about $150 online. I sure wish it were only $100!

But you are absolutely right that it would prove it one way or the other...

11. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is what I consider a design flaw. It seems reasonable to assume that when the car is plugged in, your 12V aux battery is being maintained. The sales staff at the dealership where I bought my PiP obviously thought so too, but despite being plugged-in, the aux battery went dead in the showroom so many times that when I took delivery of the car, the aux battery was only good for maybe 10 mins at best on acc-mode before it died, making the car immobile.

I considered this unacceptable for a new car, and had the dealer test the battery. It failed the test and had to be replaced at their cost. The service manager admitted he was sure the battery was fine beforehand, but he had to admit it was defective.

This is where Toyota could do a better job of living up t0 customers' expectations. The PiP can be sitting, dead in the water, with no way to start it, while there is over 4 kW of available energy on board. Few people I expect, would be prepared for such an event, where the only option might be to have the car towed to the dealer.

I see no reason why the aux battery can't be better-protected from going flat through a low-voltage sensor which could provide some warning before the battery goes dead, or provide a remedy for starting if it has gone dead. Also, there's no reason why the battery should be the lead-foam (practically disposable) type which can't tolerate deep-discharging without damage.

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That sux, but I still think it's most likely your battery. :-|

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    stay away from the yellow top, there have been recent issue's. do you have a battery store in your area? auto zone might have an exide or something. the new oem has a much better warranty and might be worthwhile. i see you had your car shipped from new jersey, so the history of the 12 volt is unknown.

14. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, it is kind of ridiculous. My Leaf will automatically charge the 12V battery from the HV battery every 5 days if the car isn't started at all (though with the strange caveat that it also has to be UNplugged... I found that one out the hard way!)

There is a Batteries Plus nearby, which has the Optima YellowTop, as well as a slightly cheaper Duracell battery. But at $210 and $180, respectively, I might as well just get the OEM battery with a better warranty at the dealership for $190. I have been starting to wonder about the history of the 12V battery in here... my PiP was a dealer demo car that I bought CPO from them. I got the feeling from the car history that it hadn't been driven very much in the year preceding my purchase, which suggests the 12V battery wouldn't have been in the best care. But odd to not have it show any effects for more than a year after I bought it. The car is often not driven for a week or two at a time and always starts normally after that (except once last winter when it sat over 2 weeks with my OBD dongle plugged in... I'll take the blame for that one though :)), so I've never suspected any issues with the 12V battery.

15. -Rozi-

-Rozi- Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    According to your observation, the charger charges only the traction battery while plugged-in. The DC-DC converter is obviously off. I shall measure my 12V's battery voltage when off, plugged-in & charging, and READY tomorrow and see if I can confirm your observations. It's 10PM here now. :sleep:

Never the less, onboard charger's ECU does require 12V power to control charging process: monitor SOC, ambient & battery temperatures, talk to EVSE, control battery cooling fan... Wait a second: what if something is blocking your fan or the fan got defective and draws way more current from 12V battery than it should? That would explain why your 12V battery might get depleted only while PiP is plugged-in and charging. Or some other 12V parasite being activated when plugged-in? When DC-DC tops up 12V battery it might not be a critical power draw, just enough to lower your milage a bit. But when DC-DC is off, it depletes your 12V in couple of hours. Just a theory... :whistle:

... Or you just need to replace your 12V battery, since it simply can not support charger's ECU, sensors, battery cooling fans & other charging stuff any more.

16. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You don't have to wear a tinfoil hat to smell something fishy here. The AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) technology has been a well-proved, reliable and long-lived technology for years. That's why they command a premium price over a conventional automotive battery. If the business plan is to gradually shorten the service life of these batteries to boost sales over time, it should be illegal, or at the very least, we should be looking for other suppliers of AGM batteries who still manufacture a quality product.

I paid $200 for an AGM battery (Intimidator brand) for my Dodge Ram, and it's been in service for 6 years, and still performs like new. That's saved me the cost of many new batteries over that period of time, even though I originally bought it for better winter-reliability. Even the dealer where I bought the battery (who sells Optima) says the Optima brand has gone downhill and recommends something like a Northstar instead. Unfortunately the price has gone up to the $300-400 range, but I'd still consider paying it.

#16 GregP507, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  17. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not 100% convinced the DC-DC converter is completely off, because the second time I plugged in (see step #9), it went from 9.7V up to 11.6V, and then 12.0V a little later. Something has to be putting that voltage out there, and that something has to be either a DC-DC converter from the HV power bus or an AC-DC converter from the J1772 input. It's just not enough to actually charge the 12V battery properly, which is what has been making me question it.

I did also consider the possibility that there's an extra parasitic load. I'm sure a locked fan rotor would throw a code. Originally I thought that my OBD reader had maybe become faulty and was loading down the 12V system, but I unplugged it entirely and it made no difference. I could put a current clamp on the 12V system to monitor it, but without another known-good PiP next to it to compare, it's practically a worthless test.

18. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I took the battery tender off the 12V battery this afternoon. It was at 12.9V at that time, and fell to 12.7V over the next 5 minutes. 6 hours later, it is still at 12.6V. So no, it has not seen the same voltage drop as it does while the car is charging. :cautious:

19. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A load-test would be more meaningful. Some shops will do it on spec of getting your business.

20. -Rozi-

-Rozi- Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    I realized I need to go to the hardware store to buy some stuff first. My amp meter has a blown fuse and other stuff. Anyway, I hope to make some measurements later today and report back. I myself am interested in typical voltage and current during various PiP modes. I was thinking of measuring and writing them down now that my PiP is new for possible later troubleshooting before, but never took time to do it.