1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1947 Tama EV

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by cwerdna, Jun 6, 2013.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks to a Leaf FB group I'm on, I was reminded of this car: The History Of Tama, The Nissan Leaf Ancestor - HybridCars.com. I'd seen the video there awhile ago.

One has to LOL when you get to this part:
    It's amazing how things have changed.

I guess slowing down in the above car wouldn't really help w/increasing range. Don't have the pedal to the floor? That excess electricity ends up being converted into waste heat. :)

Rokeby and Cristino like this.
  2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    cwerdna,

many thanks for this bit of EV history.

As far as simplicity goes, there would appear to be a closer
    connection between the Tama
    [​IMG]

and the current THINK City than with the Leaf.
    [​IMG]

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My RC car had a resistor throttle.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You're welcome!

For those who haven't already, IMHO, it's much better to watch the video than to read the transcript, as the guy does a show and tell. I only watched the video awhile ago and only stumbled across the transcript last night.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that was cool! interesting tidbit about being able to get any kind of tyre in england.:cool:

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    BTW, the restored Tama EV does run. Video at Video: 1947 Tama electric car tackles Nissan's test track. (No, it doesn't go very fast.)

The beginning of the 1st video at Japanese Leaf owners praise EV's low cost of ownership, want more range shows it running too.

Side note: In that 1st video of the 2nd link, at ~2 minute mark, Leaf's Chief Vehicle Engineer Kadota-san is shown speaking. He came to to the Bay Area in late 2011 for a Leaf meeting. I was there. A few pics at My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - The “range–extended” EV (BEVx) considered. Ingineer (in purple) over there is pEEf over here. He was standing near Kadota-san w/his turbine engine tow generator for his Leaf.