1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1998 Prius - no instructions!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jez_Tukurua, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Jez_Tukurua

Jez_Tukurua New Member

Vehicle:
    1998 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone,
    I just bought a 1998 Prius. It has had the battery rebuilt by "batteryclinic.co.nz" and their "power jockey" and "booster" fitted. I drove from Auckland to Golden Bay in the South Island of NZ - 1000kms and got 5.2L/100km or 56 mpg (imp), 45 mpg(US)... seems great so far!
    Thing is this car is a Japanese import with no user manual, and all of the central console buttons have Japanese characters. And the battery-motor-ICE display doesn't work. The display does show the radio when on, but even then the buttons don't do anything.
    Do any of you have a manual that might help and any ideas for getting the little screen showing what's happening?
    Tx, Jez

2. bobofky

bobofky Member

I have a 2001 US Prius, 225,000 miles, battery replacement at 197,000 miles Jan 2009. The audio system is controlled by the "PWR" button, round button on the center panel left of the cassette player. Push the button to turn the audio system on. The "AUDIO" button controls the display. It is the round button on the center panel right of the cassette player. Push the button to turn the display on or off.

Send me an e-mail with your address and I will scan this section of my owner's manual and send to you. I don't know if you can find an owner's manual on-line or not. Good luck.

3. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi bobofky,

I believe your NHW11's manual cannot be used for NHW10. The OP has a 1998 Prius so must be NHW10.

Hi Jez,

I think you can find most of the info. at Mk1_Prius Yahoo Groups:

Mk1_Prius : Mk1 Prius (Japanese export) global owners group.

I downloaded the translation document from the Files section.

Attached Files:

4. Jez_Tukurua

Jez_Tukurua New Member

Vehicle:
    1998 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: 1998 Prius - no instructions - no energy monitor...

Hi Bobofky and Vincent,

Thanks for your replies.

One of the Mk1 Prius Yahoo guys gave me some ideas for getting the energy graph to show. This worked using the menu joystick thing at the left of the radio and the .))) button just below the eject button on the right of the cassette tape.

I just need to work out how to toggle to the wheel/ICE/battery/motor screen.

Cheers, Jez :D