1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st Time Prius Owner Hatchback Door Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Teresa'63, May 29, 2014.

1. Teresa'63

Teresa'63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just bought a 2014 Prius 3 two months ago and am loving it! I was previously driving a 15 year old Corolla with almost 300K miles on it. Lately I've been having some issues with being unable to open the hatchback door. I will think I've unlocked the doors using the smart key but the hatchback door won't open. Also sometimes when I try to open it there is a long, loud beeping noise. Any ideas on what the problem is?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    does the Prius 3 have a sensor in the back hatch for SKS?

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius 3 and up doesn't require you to press the key fob to unlock the hatch. You just have the key on you and whether the doors are locked or not you can open the hatch by pressing up on left unlock button and continuing to push up to open the hatch. I suspect you are pushing on the left unlock button but not keeping your hand there to lift up. Then proceeding to the right lock button which makes the long beep because the hatch is open but not all the way. It took me and DW a few times to get used to pushing up from the left unlock button.

4. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Judging from my 2010 Prius, the car is a little bit buggy. At first, unlocking the driver side door through the SKS would not do anything to unlock the hatchback. Then for a long time, getting in via the SKS would unlock the hatchback. Now I am back to the original situation, meaning that I click the remote twice. This is just one of those things that works oddly. Maybe it's been fixed on post-2010 Priuses.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Default setting on sks is to unlock driver's only. You can change it to unlock all doors including hatch, just hold the lock and unlock button for 5 seconds when you are next to the car. Switches from one mode to the other.

SM-N900P ?

southjerseycraig likes this.
  6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    IIRC, the mode changes also pop up on the display while you are doing it.

7. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2010 Prius II as opposed to your 2010 Prius V. I'm not at all sure the II has that capability.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The door lock functions should be the same. You can choose to unlock only driver's door or unlock all doors.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On lower model Prii, with only driver's door SKS, unless you have the door unlock function set to unlock all doors, you have to press the unlock button twice on the fob to unlock the hatch.

10. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My guess is that you're pushing the wrong button, at least some of the time. The long beeping noise is often an alert like "you tried to lock the doors with another door open" or "you tried to lock the doors with a key inside the car." Make sure you're pushing the wide rectangular button to open the hatch, not the small round button. Also, just make sure you have the smart key in your pocket with you - that way you don't need to care whether the doors are locked or not.

If you still have problems, go back to the dealer you bought it from, and tell them that you're having problems opening the hatch, and ask them to show you how to do it. Maybe they'll be able to see what you're doing wrong, or maybe there really is a problem with something and they can fix it for you.