1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 things, love my 2006, highway mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clifford, Apr 30, 2006.

1. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    First of all, so far so good with my 2006 with approximately 1000 miles. I am pleased with everything so far except for navigation. First two tanks of gas were approx. 49 mpg. All city up to 55 miles per hour with stop lights, etc. No complaints here. So this weekend made my first highway trip. Approx. 400 miles, mostly flat, Illinois. Could be head winds or hind winds or side winds I am not sure but there was wind! I tried not to make this drive different then in my truck or Jeep Grand Cherokee so I could have a true comparison. So one tank of gas, 38.4 mpg, 377 miles, little air or no heat, temp around 56.
    I used cruise control some of the time but it appeared that mpg was steadily not great.
    This is all ok even if this is the best it gets. But does it get better? I am really not interested in milking the mpg to a great extent. Maybe a little.

2. 98clru

98clru Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clifford @ Apr 30 2006, 11:57 PM) [snapback]247775[/snapback]</div>
    As the EPA says your mileage may vary....

I'm outside Orlando, most of the area is pretty flat. Picked up my prius Wed, Thursday had to drive to Tampa (about 100 miles, mostly highway). Temps in the mid to upper 80's, sunny, and no window tinting yet!

On my way out to Tampa most of the trip was open road, moderate traffic. Using cruise control and A/C on nonstop one setting below medium got according to display about 48mpg pretty consistantly. Most of the time I was cruising between 60 and 75, more around 65 than not.

On my way home I hit Orlando's rush hour, speed up to about 40, slow down almost right away to almost stop, repeat for 45 minutes to cover 15 miles. Display read 60mpg. Still learning with less than 500 miles on it.

First tank 355 miles, 48 mpg overall. Warm weather seems to really help from what I have read in the postings, but why after reaching operating temp should air temp matter?

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clifford @ Apr 30 2006, 11:57 PM) [snapback]247775[/snapback]</div>
    How fast were you driving? At highway speeds (70 mph) at that tempurature over flat terrain I get 47 or 48 mpg.

Tom

4. BVISAILMAN

BVISAILMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What are your tires inflated to??? Use 42 front and 40 rear. Also you might want to change the oil to full synthetic. with the synthetic and tires set as above Ive been averaging 55 in the stop and go and back road 30 50 MPH driving. Yesterday I drove to Newport RI and back to Boston along with some driving around Newport, with my highway speeds in the low 70's and my MPG was 48.6 overall. I have just over 1500 miles on my 2006. I did use the AC on part of the trip as needed.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hate to go on the freeway it thrashes my mpg. I don't get on the freeway often and have not learned a best way to manage freeway driving. Two things that I do is slow down. I use the cruse control. I suspect that if I tried a bit harder managing the hills I would do better. Cruse control does not do hills to the best mpg but works way to hard to maintain speed. I get between 51-53 on the freeway now. Not much flat here in Western Washington.

6. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My highway mileage just took a big jump this past weekend. My highway mpg has been in the low 40's. I suspect something just got broken in. I had to whip out the cell phone camera while driving on Saturday because I couldn't figure out how I was getting a few maximum bars while cruising along at 65. My tires are at 40 front, 38 rear. I've had it for almost 2 months and it's at just over 2,000 miles. My overall average on this tank is way down because of lots of short trips.

My guess is that your mpg might still improve as you put on the mileage.

[attachmentid=3193]

7. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Check your tyre pressures, and your hand-brake.

If those two are OK, then it was your vehicle speed, or wind (presuming a round trip). I benefit from 5000 ft elevation that gives me an extra 1 -3 mpg at highway speeds, and easily get 60 mpg at 60 mph.

8. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BVISAILMAN @ May 1 2006, 07:36 AM) [snapback]247882[/snapback]</div>
    My tires were set, at the dealer, at approx. 35 both front and rear. So I did change them, today, to 42 and 40.
    I was driving, with traffic, as I ususally do at from 74-83 mph.
    Maybe I will get better mileage as the car is broken in.
    Thanks

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clifford @ May 1 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]248294[/snapback]</div>
    In Aug/05 I drove from Orlando Fl to Bryan Tx on 2 tanks of fuel, (75-85mph w/cruise) I have the 04 prius, I was getting some killer mileage, I recently changed tires went to 195.60R15, wow lets just say it dropped my mpg avarage to 43mpg. Where as before with the stock Goodyear integritys I was averaging 58 city / 47 hwy..

Can't wait till the new tires wear out..... :)

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What type of tires?
    _H*

11. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clifford @ May 1 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]248294[/snapback]</div>
    Seventy-four to 83MPH?! I can't imagine your mileage improving much if you continue at those speeds! I recommend leaving home a few minutes early and using the slow lane if you're really concerned about improving your fuel economy.

12. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    "Could be head winds or hind winds or side winds I am not sure but there was wind!"

I can vouch for YMMV...especially with South Dakota wind!

150 mile trip in...easily...40 MPH sustained winds, gusting above that at times...about 30 degrees F...fairly uphill from 1,000 ft to 3,300 ft (over the 150 miles, so very even)...3 people on board...doing 65 MPH...36 MPG!! With my 8 mile combined city/highway commute (over 4 days worth) to finish the tank, it ended up at 41 MPG.

Same trip in warmer temps and somewhat milder winds (say, 20 MPH)...47 MPG.

Just like in real estate...location matters, or in this case conditions matter.

And it seems all the other cars out there are unaffected by these things! Most everyone I tell these types of things, just tell me their car gets 40 MPG on the highway all the time. Yeah, right, just quote your best possible day...

13. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 1 2006, 07:05 PM) [snapback]248306[/snapback]</div>
    Part of the difference may simply be due to the different tire sizes. Check the revs/mile for the new tires. The OEM Goodyears do 833 revs per mile. If your new tires have fewer revs per mile, the MPG reading will be lower.

14. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are my average, mostly flat, almost no wind mpgs:
    40mph = 80+mpg
    54mph =54 mpg
    65mph = 51 mpg
    75mph = 46 mpg
    80mph = 42 mpg (break in mph, 800 mile trip)

15. Edison

Edison Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(200Volts @ May 3 2006, 04:03 PM) [snapback]249230[/snapback]</div>
    I just did a 300 mile highway trip from western Massachusetts to central Maine, averaging around 65 mph at around 50 degress F. Got 52 mpg, which is right on target with 200volts' averages (above).

One thing very interesting: I took delivery of the car last January and immediately put on Michelin X-Ice snow tires. With those tires, the car averaged around 54 mpg for the kind of driving I do. As the weather warmed up in March, the mileage went up. One tank of gas then yielded 56 mpg according to the display computer. BUT when I put the OEM tires back on in April, the mileage went DOWN by about 2 mpg. That was an unpleasant surprise! I can't wait (but I will) to get rid of them and buy some low-resistence tires. Too bad Toyota didn't have the sense to use low-resistance OEMs. Oh, well.

16. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ May 2 2006, 01:12 AM) [snapback]248429[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not really concerned with the best fuel economy of all. Just want better than I have with my other cars. In the Chicago tollway system that is on the slow side! I like your suggestions though. Makes a lot of sense if you have nothing else to do but sit in a car. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(200Volts @ May 3 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]249230[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds reasonable. Mine was averaging 75mph and 38 mpg. Not a big deal with only 1000 miles. Maybe when the tires are broken in and the engine is broken in I will be closer to your averages.
    Thanks for the input.
    It seems that typically I will get around 48 for combined type of driving and I have no complaints there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ May 2 2006, 09:29 AM) [snapback]248526[/snapback]</div>
    Everything you say sounds realistic to me. Thanks for the reply. I don't know what warmer means but I was driving in the 50-60 degree ball park.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ May 2 2006, 12:15 AM) [snapback]248407[/snapback]</div>
    OEM, Goodyear, Integrity.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 1 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]248306[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't that funny. Can't wait to use up your tires and buy new tires. I was thinking the same thing about the tires and neat wheels! Use those tires as long as you can!

17. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've found that the MPG on the display does NOT correlate well with actual MPG as calculated by miles and fillups. mostly it's lower , but on occasion higher..... ????
    tire pressure is key!

18. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As you already know, driving at the speeds you drive really is the answer.

Ask yourself this - WHY do you drive at those speeds?

I used to drive a Jeep and would drive 80-90 or even faster on occasion. When I got the Prius, I saw the light (and the fuel economy) and changed my driving. I occasionally when I'm in a rush push 75-80, but my normal crusing speed is between 60 (in thicker traffic) - 75. I tend to stay in the middle on a 3 lane highway or sometimes even to the right.

I have not noticed any difference in how long it takes me to get places. The only thing I've noticed is how much happier I am driving.

19. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Clifford,

Just in case somebody else did not mention this, check the oil level. Too much oil creates extra engine crank housing heat.

Another guy had bad handling. He found the alignment was poor. A wife of a Toyota tech chimed in and said this the shipping handling can sometimes knock the front ends out of alignment and her husband has fixed this on a few cars. The mis-allignment would effect higher speed driving drag, especially toe-in.

But, it could just be wear in. I saw allot of improvement week after week up to 2500 miles, and since then its started to flatten out. Now at 3000 miles on my 2006 bought in early Febuary. Last 3 tanks have been above 54 mpg in the tollway shuffle. Starting this latest tank out right, thanks to steady and slow traffic. 55.3 mpg for 48 miles so far.

On a side note I fill up in two weeks at 9.3 gallons, versus every week at 8.0 gallons with the ol SL2. Which is a 41 percent improvement in fuel consumption.

20. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ May 5 2006, 05:44 PM) [snapback]250499[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for your reply. I will check the oil level. Also would not hurt to gas sooner but I always want to end on a high note!