1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 years between oil change?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Platon Murenin, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Platon Murenin

Platon Murenin New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2012 Prius c Two, which I bough in December 2012. I don't drive it as often as I have a work car, so, I got my first 5K check up in June 2013 and 10K check up (with oil change) in November 2013, both of those were right on schedule.

Now, it has been 10 months and I am still few hundred miles away from 15K. Should I get an oil change with my 15K check up or wait for 20K, by that time it'll probably be close to 2 years since the last one.

I don't really anticipate driving it that much, so, getting oil changes every 5K seems excessive, although it'll take me around a year to drive that much, which is recommended time for oil changes.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought the oil change interval was 10,000 miles?

3. Platon Murenin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Don't they say 10K or 12 months? So, 10K at 24 months or so is still fine?

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In the US, it is 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. You should use months.

(For me, 10,000 miles is 4 months, so I use miles)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think it's perfectly fine. some here say that you need to follow the schedule for warranty reasons. but that doesn't explain the diy'er changing her own oil. besides, the engine is only warranted of 3/36, and no one has ever had trouble in that time frame.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Powertrain warranty should be longer than 3yr/36. Since the oil change is free at 2 years, I would just do it. Use it or lose it

7. Platon Murenin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Haha I understand now. I keep forgetting that the oil change is for mileage or time, whichever comes first.

#7 Platon Murenin, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Look at your maintenance manual. In a Prius Two the oil change interval is 10,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Your car is probably the same.

9. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    2 years is not problematic. Wait if you wish.

5,ooo intervals is not problematic. Don't wait if you wish.

Neither will hurt your vehicle or the warranty. Neither are mandatory. Mix/match if you will.

It's only a $30 oil change...nothing special.

10. Mark323

Mark323 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I had my first oil change at 4800 miles... Im at about 8500 miles now. I did not know the oil change was 10K miles! I come from a long line of 3K mile oil changers - lol, overly anal i guess, even with synthetic mobil 1 in my SRT4....More oil changes = more garbage out from the inside of your ICE oil passages and rings and whatnot IMO.
    I still have not had any "Toyota Care" work done on the car. A dealer changed my oil and did not charge me for it while my car was being repaired after a hit and run. The dealer was incompetent about the toyota care being able to be used at any toyota dealer and did not apply it. If your in the Baltimore Area, just say no to Jerrys Toyota, it took a month to get my car repaired back to normal. It was a slew of incompetence and idiocy at that place. BEWARE

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not a petroleum purist.
    If you're old enough to drive then you're probably at least pretty close to being an adult.
    Read your maintenance schedule and make an informed decision.

Most people like to trade their cars in before 150k and even a humbly engineered car with a spotty maintenance record will usually hold together for that long. I hear people screaming that if you change the special "break-in" oil out early then your engine won't last. I hear other people sat that if you don't change it out early, then all of the metal shavings that are cruising around in your oil from the manufacturing process will wreck your motor.
    It's like the 3,000/5,000/10,000 mile periodicity wars that are breaking out in all of the car forums.
    If we presume that there are folks that adhere to all of these maintenance practices, and we also presume that drivers aren't trashing motors all the time, then you almost cannot help but to reach one conclusion:
    It Don't Matter. :)

Actually?
    It does, but only a little.

If you take lots of short trips, then the oil "experts" always say that more moisture from condensation will make its way into your oil, since your motor operates less often at normal temperatures and pressures. Acids can form (they say) and other chemical evils can wreck your motor.
    This is why they used to say 3-months or 3,000 miles.
    The oil longevity purists will quickly point out that today's "wonder oil" has magical properties that will ameliorate these effects, but even so bad stuff gets into the oil. That's why it changes from an apple-juice color to something more like the stuff that they sell at Starbucks, unless you're one of those 'cookie-in-a-cup' wimps that put white stuff in your coffee-----bit that's a different rant. ;)
    I change my oil at either 5,000 miles or in the case of the motorcycles about annually.
    None of my vehicles have, or have ever had a drinking problem.
    Done.

In my never to be humbled opinion, all of this doesn't matter nearly as much as checking and maintaining your oil volume.
    Priuses have itty-bitty oil sumps....something like four quarts.
    If you run a quart low for 10,000 miles?
    It's gonna hurt a little more.
    Check your oil every other tank or so, and immediately after anybody that's not you lifts the hood on your car, and you can pretty much change the oil whenever you want to within reason.

YMMV

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the heads up!(y)

13. smackdownC

smackdownC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Technically, the ToyotaCare brochure says 6 months/5K mi for oil change. http://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/toyotacare.pdf Dealer said that was for non-synthetic only, yet no asterisk or list of cars stating as such. Do cars even use non-syn anymore? A week later, I get a ToyotaCare brochure in the mail showing the amended changes. Still the manual says short-drives/winter/dusty-dirty quality for the 6 months/5K mi o/c.

Mark323 likes this.
  14. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It's in your maintenance schedule when to change your oil. There are a lot of bad Toyota dealers out there. I had one very bad one.