1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius handling improvement

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Mr_I_Want_More_MPG, May 25, 2014.

1. Mr_I_Want_More_MPG

Mr_I_Want_More_MPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's time to replace the struts at 205,000 miles. Driver front is sticking and creaking. The dust boot was all ripped up. Either way the car is pretty boaty but I've never had a fresh Prius to compare it too. I got my car with 186K. I'd love to firm up the ride a bit but do see too many options. I see KYB GR2's, Monroe and Gabriel struts available. The car could use about 20% stiffer springs and some bigger sway bars. Any interchangeablilty with Corollas? They should have made a Prius S from the factory. Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Prodarwin

Prodarwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious to see responses to this thread. My research on the Gen 1 didn't turn up much, although it looks close enough (the same?) in the rear to a Gen 2 that a Corolla rear swaybar would interchange. There are a couple gigantic rear bars for Corollas so you can increase roll stiffness quite a bit that way.

I'm actually curious how different the Gen 1 suspension is from a Gen 2 overall. A lot of the part numbers don't cross reference, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see springs & swaybars be interchangeable.

3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    research on member Justdidit 's modifications. He did a lot of suspension upgrades. The Progress rear swaybar makes a big difference.

4. Prodarwin

Prodarwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He has a GenII. The problem is we (I?) don't know what parts for the GenII also fit the GenI.

5. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    But he'd be the person to ask, he's like the #1 modder and defiantly willing to try new things that other members aren't willing to do.
    I'm sure he'd be willing to help you research mods that are available for the Gen I.