1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius Main Traction Battery Failure/Replacement

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Smidgen, Jan 1, 2012.

1. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Do you have the codes. Even with a few bad cells, it will run and get terrible mileage but the ICE will power most of the power needs and then waste energy trying to keep charging up a dying battery cell (which ends up as heat, which further damages surrounding cells)

No you need the high voltage to run the electric motors which the car won't go anywhere without it.

The A/C might because you are using Auto mode? instead of setting it for cold and adjusting the fan. If the ICE engine isn't on, the A/C compressor isn't making the car colder. Is this when you notice it isn't very cold?

There are threads on here about places that will put in refurbished main battery packs for much less cost.

2. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am in Los Angeles and can give you a much better price on replacement. This would be for the exact same battery. Avi's Advanced Automotive

usnavystgc likes this.
  3. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that I no longer own the Prius, I feel that I can offer more info.
    The dealership I took it to, the regional Toyota service rep must have had some goodwill dollars left over, because they replaced my battery free of charge ... not just a GOOD DEAL... the BEST DEAL. I am very grateful for the generous offer that Toyota gave me and pass this along to everyone that I can tell.

I curse every Con-Way Tractor Trailer I see driving by me now for having KILLED my Prius! Because of my experience, I now have a dual-camera dashcam in my car/s. Almost put to good use again last night, sadly.

[​IMG]

4. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Too bad you didn't tell the list right after your car got killed. Myself and others would have offered to buy it from your or the insurance company AS IS to become a donor parts car...especially since the HV battery had been replaced with a new one and it appears the damage was in the back so the tranny, inverter, ICE should all be good. One of us would have made it worth your while financially.

EVERYONE; When a car gets "totaled" you can usually buy the complete carcass from the insurance company for the estimated salvage value. Often $500-$2000, depending on mileage, condition etc. Ask the insurance company for this "buyout" option. I've purchased multiple donor Gen1's from my customers this way and it is a good way to recycle these cars, as long as you have a place to store them.