1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 problem warning lights no codes on scan

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Candonz, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Candonz

Candonz New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2001 prius jap import. On a trip it beeped and up came the triangle, check engine light and car with !. The car lost all power and the engine stalled when I pulled over. I plugged in my obd2 scanner and no codes except 3000. Took it to our local toyota dealer who confirmed that code. Had the battery swapped out and still it does the same except now no codes. The car has below normal pickup speed and I can hear the engine rev a little but it does not seem to make any difference. Seems all the power comes from the battery. It will stall when all the error lights come on. I would appreciate any help in solving this. Thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

It's not surprising that an OBD2 scanner you might use could only see that one code. It takes more specialized scanners to get all of the information. Of course the dealer has those, so it is surprising that they didn't collect the rest of the diagnostic information. It would be helpful if they had.

You can get some of the information using a ScanGaugeII (see the Classic Prius and ScanGaugeII thread, this forum) in a pretty tedious way. For an affordable fee at techinfo.toyota.com you can get a few days of access to the Techstream Lite software, which can scan everything if you have a compatible laptop and don't mind buying the right hardware interface for it; those seem to be in the $150 to $400 neighborhood from third-party suppliers.

-Chap

3. Candonz

Candonz New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for replying. Yes I understand the limitations of the standard obd scanner.
    My real concern is that no other codes were detected by toyota using their scanner.
    I was hoping for some enlightenment from anyone who may have experienced a similar occurrence where there was no error codes found and what may cause or appears to cause the ice to not supply power?
    Thanks

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Without knowing codes, we can only suggest responses to typical problems that pop up, and cause similar symptoms.

Clean the air induction path and make sure the throttle plate moves freely.

Make sure the injectors, spark plugs and ignitors (individual pug coils) are working correctly.

Check pressure from the fuel pump.

I understand that you have replaced the 12 volt battery. No corrosion on those connectors I hope.

I reckon this is an NHW11, not HW10, but at some point we'll need to know for sure.

Please report any progress.

5. Candonz

Candonz New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes this is a NHW11

Thanks for your help and do I feel silly

It was a rag that I had kept in the engine bay for checking the oil etc.
    It had dislodged itself and got sucked up into the air intake.

I had already checked the airfilter and throttle and found no problem but because the engine won't rev unless engaged in gear I had not detected a air intake problem.

The reason it threw up the check engine and the triangle was because the ice had no air intake and the engine stalled and there is no code for a rag blocking the air intake until now.
    The code for this error is ID ten T, shortened to ID10T, :cool:

Been a bit of an exercise really.
    Transporter to get the car back home.
    Replacement 2nd hand HV battery, nothing really wrong with the original.
    Replacement 12 v battery, don't let it discharge
    Local toyota diagnostic, showing no error codes.
    Labour to remove and reinstall hv battery.
    The hours trolling through here and the net looking for info. I have to say this is an excellent forum and you guy & girls are the best,

Its great to have my Prius back

1 person likes this.