1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius Help..........

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by mario lyons, Nov 18, 2014.

1. mario lyons

mario lyons New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Drove daughter to soccer practice last night. Drove home and all fine. Was 30 degrees last night. Got up this morning and noticed the touchscreen, radio and dome lights not working. The trip odometer gets reset to 0 miles when I turn off the car and and turn it back on and when I use the toggle to lock the car the lights do not flash but they do when I unlock the car. I replace blown fuse for dome that controls all these features and it blows immediately. Took dome light out and tried again. Powee, blown again. It seems this is a common complaint but I have yet to read a blog that says what the final fix was for the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not having a wiring diagram for the gen1 Prius I cannot be positive about this, but try disconnecting the supply to the inverter coolant pump "remove connector at the pump". If that clears the problem the pump is faulty.

John (Britprius)

3. mario lyons

mario lyons New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The fuse actually pops when I put it into the fuse spot. Doesn't the car have to be turned on for the inverter to get some kind of power going. Thanks

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't worry, that never works as well as you think it will anyway, except in the specific case where the thing causing your problem is the same thing that caused the blogger's problem.

There is a final fix, but it'll set you back $15 and some poking around. You can download the wiring diagram manual from techinfo.toyota.com, find the specific fuse that you are blowing, and learn which circuits are downstream of that. Pick one to test first, check them until you find what needs fixed, then fix it.

Yes, it does. I don't have the diagram in front of me but I don't remember inverter-related circuits being on the same fuse as the dome light anyway.

Your note that it pops as soon as you put it in is really useful information, because if you look on the diagram for the stuff downstream of that fuse, if any of those circuits go through the ignition switch, you know the parts downstream of the switch aren't your problem.

Hope this helps,
    -Chap

5. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Roy from canada here - john go to the service manual on page 874 you will find the wiring diagram to help this person.

Roy

6. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Chap the wiring diagram is on page 874 of the service manual - please email me at [email protected] and I will give you the information.

Roy from Canada

7. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is Roy from Canada - can you read an electrical drawing? If you can I can send you a picture of the drawing for you to troubleshoot the problem. If you cannot try the following

1) remove the lamp in the trunk ( that isolates the trunk switch and some wiring) if that stops the fuse blowing look to trunk wiring.
    2) turn the light switch off that is in the front of the car and the dome light as well, this will stop the body ecu from turning on the lights when the door is opened. This will stop the body ecu from seeing a ground in the dome/trunk system. The dome fuse will probably still blow but the rest of the car will be OK. You will not have a dome, front or trunk light. You will have to find the source of the ground in the wiring(probably the trunk).

Roy

#7 royfrontenac, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  8. Gen1newbie

Gen1newbie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This might help you out, the dome fuse feeds a few things
    domelight.jpg domelight 001.jpg

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Roy,

It's true there are partial wiring diagrams included on various pages of the service manual, but the Electrical Wiring Diagram Manual is its own book, 200 pages or so. It includes not only complete circuit diagrams (superset of all the partial ones in the other volumes), but identification of all the connectors, routing of all the harnesses, and a lot of specifically electrical information on how to read it and troubleshoot problems.

The two ways you can get it are to order it in book form from Toyota's distributor (about $60) or download it from techinfo.toyota.com (where $15 gets you a two-day access window to collect whatever service info you want). Well worth the money either way.

When I say I don't have it in front of me, I don't mean I don't have it - just that it isn't right at hand every time I'm on priuschat. Some days there's time to go get it and look stuff up for other posters, some days there isn't. I do think the manuals are well worth the money (especially at the online price!) for any serious Gen 1 owner to have on hand ... on the forums, then, we can come together to solve the more perplexing problems from a certain common understanding.

Cheers,
    -Chap

10. mario lyons

mario lyons New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for all the help folks. I really appreciate it!! So I disconnected connector to inverter pump and put a fuse in and it didnt pop and all the stuff inside(radio, dome lights, touch screen) all work now. Definitely my pump right?

11. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks Chap - I will order the paper from Toyota distributor if I cannot buy a pdf wiring manual. I find my pdf service manual handy as it comes with a search engine. If you wish I can send it to you as it is for the 2003 prius.

I would like a pdf manual of the wiring diagrams, can this be purchased? The $15 appears you would be downloading forever to get the complete manual.

Roy

12. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi John- looks like you solved the mystery of the dome light fuse - congratulations.

However, the electrical drawing in my manual seem to indicate there is no connection to the inverter pump (unless it is through the body ecu), what do you think is happening?

13. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Chap - ordered paper manual as you suggested. They did not have the 2001 wiring manual but did have 2002 and 2003 . Thanks for the ordering info.

Roy from Canada

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What I've seen described in posts by others is to sign in, download enough bits to work out the pattern of the download requests, then write a script to do that and have a latte while it finishes the job. I haven't seen myself just how involved that is because I bought the paper manuals, but surely it is what I would try if I wanted online copies.

-Chap

15. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for replying. I thought I had posted that I had bought the manual.

Yes you are right. I bought the paper manual - had to buy 2003 as 2001 were sold out cost $78 shipped to my son in the states, would be $105 if shipped to canada plus custom duties. I should get it in a couple of weeks.

Roy from Canada

16. PeterHaas

PeterHaas Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup, 2001 manuals appear to be sold out.

I could obtain a 2003 Electrical Wiring Diagram manual for US$20 delivered to a US address.

I was, however, able to obtain the updated 2001 Service Manual, both parts 1 and 2, for just under US$120, delivered to a "lower 48" address.

A necessary resource, for what I am afraid is being treated as an "orphan" product.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Manuals do go out of print ... I have two friends who've both recently picked up used cars (an '05 Pontiac and an '03 Ford) and I haven't been able to give them their paper shop manuals either. The bright side is that all the manufacturers seem to have online offerings similar to techinfo now; in fact, Helm, the 800-pound-gorilla distributor for paper manuals, seems to have fielded their own online system, which is what Ford's using.

I've still so far not had any trouble obtaining parts I need for my 14-year-old Gen 1, with Toyota offering some of them in a choice of new or reman, so at the moment it doesn't feel very orphaned to me.

-Chap