1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius in the winter?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by primuspaul, Jun 29, 2014.

1. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    How do I deal with the snow during the winter? I was thinking of buying 2 studded general tires, mounted and balanced on 2 aluminum rims, and just putting them on the front the day before really bad weather during the winter. Should be no harder than putting on a spare, correct?

Would the studs make it close to as good as an SUV during the winter?

2. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Get a matched set of 4 winter tires, and you'll be set. AWD is ideal, but any FWD car with a good set of winter tires will be pretty solid. Is there a tradeoff for efficiency? Sure, buy that's what you get for living where it snows!

SPH-L300 ?

3. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    4 is a bit too expensive. What's the point for a front wheel drive car?

4. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Rear traction is actually more important while driving. That's what keeps you from oversteering and spinning out into the ditch. I thought the cost was easily justified by the safety and stability when I lived in a cold climate, had winter wheels/tires for all our cars. Watch craigslist for a used set, shouldn't be too pricey. Studded tires are great if they're legal where you live, but half the traction only does half the job.

SPH-L300 ?

5. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I no longer have it, but I was lucky to get my 2002 prius out of the driveway with 3+inches of snow due to the traction control being so sensitive. Now with my 2008, 6inches of snow? no problem. Same factory tires that came on the 2002.