1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius Problem After AUX Battery Disconnect *HELP*

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Fluxspace, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Fluxspace

Fluxspace New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a 2002 Prius, disconnected the AUX battery for about 2 hours to clean out the trunk and when I connected back up and started the car, the hybrid battery warning light and Triangle light came on, it will stall out after a couple of seconds on. Everything was perfect before the battery disconnect. It seems to be an issue with the computer not resetting itself properly maybe? I have heard of other owners shifting it into N and letting it sit for a couple minutes? Does anyone have any info on this?

2. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh, I just did this this past weekend when I had to recharge my 12V battery from letting it get to low from a inverter replacement. Hooked it back up and everything was normal. Where did you disconnect it? At the battery or the cable on the bottom of trunk? I disconnected mine at the cable on bottom of trunk and made sure it did not touch anything.
    TomK

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    First, check your connections, if all is well there, by all means shift into neutral and let it run but, there shouldn't be any problems.

Fluxspace likes this.
  4. Fluxspace

Fluxspace New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks guys, yeah disconnected the ground and positive terminals and nothing touched or shorted. Connected back up and it gave me the triangle warning light and the hybrid system battery light on the screen. I'm assuming that I just need to let it sit on N enough for it to reset the computer? I'm new to the hybrid world so I'm unfamiliar with this issue. Thanks for all/any help :)

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What it sounds like you're seeing is the "startless start syndrome" that you can find elsewhere mentioned on this forum. What seems like the engine "starting" and then "stalling" a few seconds later, is in fact the engine being cranked and never starting at all. What makes it sound like it starts is that a Prius doesn't crank at low speed like other cars, but at 1000 to 1200 rpm. Then after the short period of cranking if the engine hasn't caught and produced its own power, the cranking stops, and it sounds like it stalled.

I'm pretty sure the whole thing is an 'unplanned feature' (I never said 'bug', now) and shouldn't be expected to make very much sense. If I had to guess, I'd think the engine control module can be put into weird states by glitchy power during its boot-up sequence, as might happen (for one example) if the trunk cable you disconnected was a little jiggly while you reconnected and tightened it.

The one time I had startless start syndrome myself, it was cured after I simply unhooked the 12 V again for several seconds and hooked it back up. I know, I know, that's how you got into it in the first place, but here I would suggest another way to do it:

Look at the big red plastic module that is attached to the positive battery terminal. Two wires plug into it, a skinny one and a fat one, using typical squeeze-to-unplug automotive plugs. Just unplug 'em. It's easier and faster than loosening a screwed-down cable, it's as safe as unplugging stuff at home, and it will give a cleaner, glitch-free power loss.

Wait for many seconds, or a minute or two if you like, for any stored charge in the ECM to be lost, then go ahead and plug both cables back in (I'd suggest fat one first) - just push 'em in smoothly until they click. You're trying to turn the juice back on with a click and not a scrape-wiggle-wiggle.

I can't guarantee this will work for you (I have no insider knowledge of what this bug really is), but it worked great for me, and it makes some sense in a digital-electronics-intuitive sort of way.

The one thing to be careful of is to not make so many unsuccessful starting attempts that the HV battery gets too low to keep going, because that's a difficult situation to recover from. If resetting the 12 V once doesn't do the trick on the first start attempt, I would try resetting once again, rather than making repeated unsuccessful starts.

-Chap

usnavystgc and Fluxspace like this.
  6. Fluxspace

Fluxspace New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks Chap for the info. Update: I shifted into N a bit longer today, for about 10 minutes and let the car sit. Re-started and it seems to have done the job. I'm guessing that it needs to re-boot itself longer before going back to normal. Crossing my fingers that it did the trick :)

usnavystgc likes this.