1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius Timing Belt Tips

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by robert mencl, Aug 9, 2014.

1. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I really like doing maintainence on my car and this project was a tough one so I thought I would share some pointers for you folks.
    We are taking a trip across the State for the annual possum roast next week and I wanted to make sure we don't have any problems on the road, so the Timing Belt was the first part to come to mind, and I was conserned about it breaking because I don't know if this is an intercourse moter and if it is then your valves and all can get bent when the Belt breaks like they did on my Chevy Citation at last year's festival. valves.jpg
    The hardest thing was actually getting a Timing Belt. The Toyota parts department guy was completely useless so I had to tell him off and now I can't go there any more. Do you know how to tell when a Toyota parts man is lying? It's easy, because his Lips are moving.
    Fortunately, my cousin who works in a junkyard had a spare Timing Belt so I traded him a box of .22 shells for it and got right to work. timing belt.jpg The hardest part was getting the timing cover off so I used a Big screwdriver and a Hammer. Next time I will take off that other Bolt in back and it will come off eazier.
    Then I found out that the last owner must have replaced the Timing Belt with a Chain. I can understand that, because it is so hard to get them from the Dealer.
    I did get the Timing Belt to go on, but it was tight and so we had to throw away the tensioner. Got the cover back on with latex caulk and it runs pretty good and I feel good because I know it will be reliable for a long time. Professional mechanics only use Latex Caulk because everybody knows the Silicone kind is bad for the oxygen senser.
    Next time I write an article it will be on how to convert your Prius to Diesel. I haven't done it yet but I know it will be a lot eazier than changing the Timing Belt because it already has Injectors. Here is a new injector versis an old one. pcv.jpg
    So if anybody on Priuschat wants some advise on how to fix your car, you can just ask me because I have probably seen it done before and it looked Easy.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That line alone was worth the price of admission. :)

I'm curious, were you parodying someone who does that Kind of random Capitalization in their writing? It's kind of interesting because that's a Thing my dad started doing in his last years, when he never had before. I wonder where that Comes from....

-Chap

WHCSC likes this.
  3. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    from Dave Barry

4. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius has been running rough lately. I think it's time to rebuild the carburetor, but I can't find the darn thing!

Any ideas?

telmo744 and robert mencl like this.
  5. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi Wisco- Intermittent problem or continuous? Checked the ignition points lately? One owner here had rough running linked to mice in the AC filter.

6. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, this is a joke right? I thought this engine had a timing chain.
    TomK

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Had one, yeah. All fixed now.

-Chap

8. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well, if your cousin finds another timing chain for a 2002, I’d be happy to send him a box of .22s .

9. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you still get those in California? I hear they're talking about background checks for ammo.

Sandy Meyers likes this.
  10. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ha... it won’t be coming from CA then but I’ll get it done....

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Timing chain for a 2002 is easy to find. It's that danged belt where you have to search harder.

12. foaktree

foaktree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’m glad I have automatic trans in mine so I don’t have to worry about any timing belt.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The latex caulk has a shelf life though, so you'll have to find something to use it for.