1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 transponder key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mjolinor, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Mjolinor

Mjolinor New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I only got one electronic key when I bought the car but from what I had read this doesn't seem to be a problem. I read and asked and couldn't find anything that specified a type of key or if different Toyotas used different remotes so I bought one from eBay.

ORIGINAL TOYOTA 3 BUTTON KEY/RAV4/YARIS/LANDCRUISER/MR2 on eBay, also, Toyota, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 03-Jan-09 17:36:28 GMT)

It doesn't programme to the car. I am following these instructions
    Remote Transmitters
    and they are obviously correct for the car as I can tell there are two keys programmed already and the door locks behave as they should there is just no response from the door locks when I try to add the new key. I assume therefore that it is not the correct remote.

I have also found
    Prius Key Fob Study
    which tells me that the frequency is 315 MHz the one I bought is 433.93 centre frequency. This may be a UK thing as that frequency is given on a US site, I don't know.

The key I bought is a Valeo three button remote but the key that I have with the car doesn't have anything on other than lock, unlock and the Toyota symbol.

Can anyone give me some concrete information about types or am I off to Toyota to pay through the nose.

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Remotes are not compatible between the US and Europe. But I would expect transponders to be identical. So you should be able to program the car to accept a new key in the ignition. But the lock/unlock buttons on the remote are not going to work with a remote designed for different radio specifications.

These different rules for remotes in different countries are really ridiculous. The manufacturer has to follow the rules for each country, which obviously makes sense. But if you take a car manufactured for one country to another country with a different standard, the original remote will work just fine. And I doubt that the authorities who enforce the color of the headlights, seat belt standards, etc. make any fuss about the different remote standards. Oops. Don't tell them or they'll make you convert the remotes as well as the lights!

The selection "Programming New Keys" on the site that you referenced should work for the transponder (key in ignition function).

3. Mjolinor

Mjolinor New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    But it doesn't so there must be different Toyota remotes in the UK for different UK models. This is the problem, how do I know which ones will work without buying them randomly, is it year of manufacture (Valeo in the case of the bought one but unknown in the case of the one that works) or keymaker or something else.

I am very loathe to rip the worker in bits to investigate it's properties as it will likely die when I do that, so much stuff that I pull to bits does. :)

4. Mjolinor

Mjolinor New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Still not solved this. I have bought 3 transponders off eBay, all genuine Toyota and none of them will work.

Attached are pictures of their transmissions. One picture shows two and the second picture shows the third. The two traces are my original key on the left (lower frequency slightly). From the shape of the transmitted signal one of my new keys is using QPSK modulation and another one is using some sync function, the original key is using neither of these modulation techniques, it is a simpler signal, probably just FSK so none of my new keys will be capable of affecting the receiver in the car.

So there are obviously at least 3 different key types for Toyota remote transponders and I can't find any indication of what uses what in terms of years or models or anything. It's looking like a pay through the nose Toyota job because I have tried everything I can think of.

Attached Files: