1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002: Where's the oil drain plug?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zip2008, Jul 2, 2008.

1. zip2008

zip2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Hello,

I found the auto transmission drain plug I think. I got under the engine on the driver's side near the front of the car and found a plug fitting a 24 mm socket. Then, I cracked it and saw reddish fluid .... AT fluid I think.

So I looked around some and did not see an oil drain plug. Is it under a skid-plate? Where is it?

Where is the oil filter and how hard is it to get to?

Documentation has how to check the oil but not how to change it.

s,

mark

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Engine oil drain bolt is 12 mm and on the (US) passenger side of the vehicle. If you get your head under there and look straight up, you will see the oil filter can. It is vertically oriented with the treaded connection on top.

When you remove the oil filter there will be some dribbling. You can capture that using a soda bottle with its top cut off. Loosen the filter a bit (endcap wrench is good for that) and then continue unscrewing it with your catcher-bottle.