1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Air Conditioning Clutch

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Cpbender, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Cpbender

Cpbender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My 2003 with 150K miles has had the blinking A/C light problem for the past year or so. I've read many posts on the subject, including Station2Station's A/C Diagnosis and Replacement Blog (which is awesome, thanks). I ran the diagnosis, got the 22 code, so it seems the clutch needs to be adjusted or replaced. One difference with my situation from everything I've read: if I leave the A/C on Max with the fan on at Max, the A/C works fine (for at least as long as my daily commute, about 40 mins). Once I turn the fan down or turn Max off, the lights start blinking within 5-10 minutes and the A/C doesn't work. Is this consistent with the clutch problem? The Dealer wants $150 just to diagnosis it, and my normal mechanic doesn't really know what to do with it... I won't be attempting the repair myself, but want to give my mechanic as much info as possible (unless, of course, there's somebody on this forum in the western Philly suburbs who would like to take this on -- let me know if so). Thanks!

2. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes it sounds like your clutch..Mine did the exact same thing..Once I put on a new clutch the problem disappeared..

3. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You can re-gap the clutch to save money.

4. Cpbender

Cpbender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Good deal, thanks for the responses.

5. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    y you can re gap the clutch with shims only after removing the belt and spinning the pulley to feel that the bearings are good. re-gaping the clutch then having the pulley bearing fail 10,000 is a waist of money and a waist of time.

6. Cpbender

Cpbender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    thanks Lech, I appreciate the advice.