1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius died in driveway listening to radio. HELP!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Jingle, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jingle

Jingle New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car is totally dead. I drove home (~1 mile) and the car has been running fine for years. Was listening to the end of a report and had turned the engine off so I saw no lights, warnings. The radio stopped for a few seconds, then came back on, and within a minute everything went silent. No lights, no response what so ever, it's like it just gave up. Thoughts would be VERY much appreciated. ~73000 miles.

2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure about the 03(classic) Prius but in the 04+ the 12v battery that powers things when the key is in the Acc position, aka engine not in Ready mode, isnt big/powerful enough to supply too much energy as its main goal is to start the bigger HV battery and associated computers not power accessories. The 12v battery in my 2011 is about 1/4 the size of the one in my truck.

3. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sounds like your 12V is dead. If it is over 4 years old it may need replacing. Not a good idea listening to the radio in the ACC state. Leaving it in the READY state is best so it will kick on and keep the battery charged as needed. You can jump it to start it to get a battery replacement. Depending on the age of the 12V I would try recharging it first.

scotman27 likes this.
  4. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes as Steve Lee said,jump start it, let it has a good recharge to give it a chance before thnking of replacing it. Please make sure the polarity of the jumper cables. Otherwise a wrong connection will cause few thousands dollars as damaging the expensive converter. Please be careful.

scotman27 likes this.
  5. Jingle

Jingle New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Steve, Thank you. I'll try to recharge it but it is probably about 6 years old. I'll start with that.

6. Jingle

Jingle New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm so paranoid about doing that that I literally look at pictures each time I try to jump a car. And it isn't like I've never had to have a car jumped. Thanks.

7. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yeah I agree 12v battery died. your battery is 6 yrs old, time for a replacement. i would recommend the optima yellow top battery. I have one in mine. they last longer and can handle what you just did alot better than the toyota 12v batteries.

8. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    SIX years old.......just get a replacement 12v accessory battery. It's not even worth the trouble to jump it being that old

sdtundra and scotman27 like this.
  9. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Do you have one of those jumper boxes? red to red black to black. very easy, same with the battery chargers or jump starting.

10. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I agree. After 6 years, looking for a replacement is a better use of time at this point. That battery is toast.