1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius P3000 code

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Itadsup, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Itadsup

Itadsup New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello I have a 2003 Prius with a hard falt code of P3000 main battery bad!
    But there is not anything wrong with the batt or how it runs. I cleared the code and in 10 miles or so it comes right back? I was thinking of a reflash on the computer but has anyone had this problem and what did you do?

2. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This can be a can of worms. I'd not think that reflashing the battery ECU would help. Do you have a code reader that will read the sub-codes?

I'm also fighting a P3000.. In my research the problem may, or may not be a problem with the HV traction battery. The manual tells me that there's a problem with the HV battery. Here are the areas that the manual centers on if you've got a sub code:
    •  HV Battery System
    •  High Voltage Fuse
    •  Power Cable
    •  HV Battery Cooling System
    I've now been able to define that the problem is a P3009 error. That's a problem with leakage to ground from
    • The HV battery, or
    • The HV battery cables, or the
    • Electric Motor
    All I have to do now is narrow it down. I'm hoping it's leakage in the battery and I can clean up the terminals and get some more life out of it.

I'm still doing more research on this to narrow it down further...

I do have a 2nd problem that the auxiliary 12 volt battery dies if the car is not driven every day. The battery is new, and it is good. I've two 2002 Prii that I can swap the batteries to see if the symptoms follow the battery. The problem does not swap to the other car, so the battery is good and the car has a parasitic drain.