1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius Won't Start after 12v Replacement

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by denn_r, Aug 27, 2016.

1. denn_r

denn_r New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I left the dome light in my Prius on and it was 3+ days before I realized (This is a spare/commuter car). The fob would not unlock/lock the doors and there was absolutely no lights coming on. I did not have a set of jumper cables, so took the battery to autozone only for the guy to tell me it had a dead cell. I purchased one used (OEM) from my hybrid mechanic as a replacement.

The car itself has 116XXX miles and was running great. I know it has to do with the 12vv because saw the last position the dome light was left was on.

The main issue that happened during installation was that when tightening the +terminal, the panic alarm went off and it startled me letting go of my wrench which touched the -terminal (not connected to ground wire at the time). It sparked, but after a while, I connected the ground wire and got in the car to start it.

The lights came on: radio, clock, display along with a red triangle light. I trued to start the car, but the car would not start. I could hear trying to ignite, but it wouldn't. I also noticed a sound coming from under the hood, which I assume is the DC converter or the inverter pump running. I tried to hook up my OBD II but it would not give me any codes.

I know I probably shorted out a fuse, but I do not which ones I should be looking at. But can this also be due to the new battery not being charged fully? I'm going jump it tomorrow to see if the replacement battery just needs extra juice. Like I said, I can hear the click when I turn the key, but it's not enough.

I won't be inconvenienced if this turns into a big issue because I have another car. However, I kept the Prius because I love the gas millage and don't want to put 80 commute miles a day on my brand new car. Can anyone tell me what is the basic troubleshooting could be for this?

2. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You need to reset the Immoblizer.

Turn the key to "ON" position ( DO not try to start her or you will need to do the steps again )
    Make sure all electronics are off even dome light, you should hear your water pump turbulence
    Sit for 20-30 minutes
    Turn off the car, pull the key out, open and close the door.
    Place key back in and start her and take her for a drive.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  3. denn_r

denn_r New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply. Actually, I had just forgotten to plug the HV fuse back in. Car has worked great so far.

4. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Oh good :D