1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 driver side headlight problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DeeMill, Feb 10, 2014.

1. DeeMill

DeeMill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have my daytime running lights on all the time since purchase in 2004 - this is the first time I am changing any kind of bulb on the car. Headlights are ok when starting car, but after it warms up the headlight goes off. Took it to my local repair shop and they said the connector was loose but that night the headlight was off again. Took it to the dealership and they quoted me $270 with labor to replace the bulb and said they had to special order the light as they do not stock it. Why so expensive? Is this not just a halogen light or is it one of the HID (?) I hear about? I checked another local shop and in 15 minutes after checking they said they just don't carry the bulb. I am in Michigan and it is rather cold to try and do this myself. I just wondered about the cost at the dealership. Any advise. Thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does your car have foglights?
    If yes, then it has HID headlights. If no, then it has halogen headlights.

The repair manual requires the front bumper to be removed for access - which is why the dealer labor charge will be high.

3. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    HID or halogen depends on whether you have stock fog lights or not. If you do then you most likely have HID. Either way you can order the bulbs on amazon. If it's halogen then it's the H4 type. They're about 35 dollars a pair and free shipping. Changing the bulbs is very easy. Can be done in ten minutes. You can search how to change prius headlight bulbs you will detailed videos on how to do it.

iPod touch ?

4. DeeMill

DeeMill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has fog lights. The manual looks real easy to do - does not say anything about removing bumpers (I also watched a 2007 online video that removed a lot of clips and the bumper - which surprised me since the owner manual does not show this). The dealership said $170 for the part(bulb or whatever) and $100 for labor. I know dealerships can be costly for what seems simple but $270???

5. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    yeah, $270 is a lot I would think. and the bumper does not need to be removed at all. at least for me, all I removed was the plastic panel over the radiator and the little intake duct on the passenger side. then i just use one hand to unplug the socket, twist open the gasket, then unpin the bulb holder thing then take the bulb out.
    since you have hid, then it should be the D2R bulb type.

6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The driver side light was a real pain. I just couldn't get the bulb back in. I found a video on utube that showed how to lower the bumper just enough to unbolt the whole headlight. Then it was a snap to replace the bulb.

7. DeeMill

DeeMill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since it was so cold here, I took it to a local chain tire shop which said they had to remove the bumper to install the bulb - they charged me less than the dealer but the headlight has a yellow glow to it (the old passenger side has this nice bright clear but a little blue light). What the heck now?? Do I go back and complain??

8. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. DeeMill

DeeMill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SO what is aftermarket exactly?

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Aftermarket" means a part which functionally is similar to but not identical to the manufacturer's specified part.

In the case of HID headlights, various bulbs which will fit a given socket will produce different colored light. I think this is to be expected if you did not specify that the correct original equipment bulb was to be installed.