1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prium JBL w/Nav 20 pin connector pinouts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Mike Carambat, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Mike Carambat

Mike Carambat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh! I've been looking for hours and can't find a simple diagram with the pin outs on the 2004 Prius JBL with Nav system. Just wanna hardwire it, don't care about waiting for a harness.

Does anyone know what each of the pins do on this system? So far, I've been able to suss out the following, but aren't exactly sure if this is correct (question marks are things I'm not sure about)

Also, trying to understand if I'm supposed to connect the amp shield ground to the RCA shielding or do i just use chassis ground? What do I do with that?

Lastly, I'm assuming the only thing I need to do with the other connector is connect the white and pink wires with a 68Ohm resistor to get the Climate system to display. Correct?

PIN 1: Constant 12V+
    PIN 2: Illumination
    PIN 3: NOT USED
    PIN 4: NOT USED
    PIN 5: ????
    PIN 6: NOT USED
    PIN 7: ????
    PIN 8: RR+ ??
    PIN 9: RL+ ??
    PIN 10: AMP SHIELD GROUND ??
    PIN 11: Accessory 12V+
    PIN 12: ????
    PIN 13: AMP POWER 12V+ ??
    PIN 14: NOT USED
    PIN 15: ????
    PIN 16: NOT USED
    PIN 17: NOT USED
    PIN 18: FR+ ??
    PIN 19: FL+ ??
    PIN 20: Chassis Ground

Thanks for any help here filling in the blanks!
    -Mike

2. Mike Carambat

Mike Carambat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, have an update to this. Apparently the Prius JBL amplifiers are digitally controlled and require a harness with a control "turn-on" circuit to enable the amplifier. What was confusing me about this is that although this adaptor is available for around $20-$100 (Metra TYTO-01 or Scosche S3TA03B or S3TA03) there are also some directly wired connectors that don't use a Turn-On circuit online, leading me to believe not all the JBL amps were digital and some were just powered straight through with a 12v turn on lead. Apparently, that is NOT the case. Those non-turn-on, directly wired harnesses are used only if you plan on changing out the JBL amp with a regular amplifier. Why has NO ONE mentioned this on those product description pages?!? They really screwed me over as I thought I could just hard wire it myself. Well, live and learn. I went ahead and bought the Metra adaptor and it's working well, although I get some weird balance and volume fluctuations occasionally. I'm not sure if this is due to radio shenanigans or the control circuit in the harness though.

Dino33ca likes this.