1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius replacement of hybrid inverter battery $$$

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kimdawn, Jan 31, 2013.

1. kimdawn

kimdawn New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2004 Prius, purchased used last year (even had a buyer's check done at my dealer before purchasing) has just had its hybrid inverter battery go belly up with only 89,900 miles! Warranty is already out as it is past it's 9 year time limit, and Toyota just quoted me $3400 to replace it. Other local mechanics were not able to beat the dealer's price by more than a couple hundred dollars.

Here is my dilemma: Do I pay the repair bill and hope nothing else goes wrong (I still owe on the car), or do I trade it in on another used car and hope for the best? I see the pros and cons of each, I am just wondering if anyone else has had to replace this battery and what they chose to do. What other potential high-priced repairs could I face if I repair and keep it?

I love my car, but honestly, I am now very gun shy about hybrids. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With such low mileage relative to your Prius age, I'd replace the battery or inverter no questions asked. The car still should still have tons of miles left in it to go. You can get a used inverter at a salvage yard or hybrid specialty shop (if you live near one of those, that helps) and a rebuilt battery at a few places for 1/3 the price you were quoted.

I agree with cwerdna though...we need more info. What were the codes read, what exact issue(s) were you having?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where you located kimdawn? never heard of a nine year warranty.

5. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Need more info. How did you conclude the HV battery went belly up? What state are you in? The warranty is different in different states. Error Codes???

6. kimdawn

kimdawn New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am in Texas, the dealer told me there was a 9 year/100K warranty on the battery, which no longer applies. I do not know what the codes were, the dealer did not tell me, or include them on the quote. Last weekend, all of the sudden all of the warning lights popped up on my dash (the red triangle with the !, the VSC, check engine and a yellow engine with an !). After that, the electric engine didn't want to kick in, or only would for about a minute before switching to gas. Since I was already due for my 90K checkup and oil change, I took it to the dealer and had them check it out.

Prior to the warning lights, there had been a couple times when the engine seemed to hesitate some, and sounded like it was revving high/not wanted to shift, but it was not frequent.

I have heard of a couple salvage yards that have used batteries, and some with refurbed ones, but I cannot find a reputable mechanic here that will install one that isn't new.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some dealers will install a rebuilt battery.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please do get us the codes, as we're otherwise flying blind w/o them.

In TX and non-CARB states, the HV battery warranty is only 8 years/100K miles. For CA and CARB states, it's 10 years/150K miles.

There was this: LSC A0N - HV (Inverter) Water Pump; Dealer Letter and Technical Instructions | PriusChat and later Information on Steering and Hybrid Coolant Pump Recalls C0T and C0U | PriusChat re: the inverter coolant pump.

Again, this is why we need the codes to determine if it's the inverter, inverter pump, HV battery or something else.

9. kimdawn

kimdawn New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The inverter cooler pump was replaced right before I bought it, and the dealer fixed the steering recall issue while I was there on Monday. If I can get it somewhere where I can get the codes read, I will post it.

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do agree that you should contact the dealer and ask them what the codes are. They should have put them on the invoice when they diagnosed the car. Example: P3000 or P3018

You mentioned that the inverter cooling pump was changed before you bought the car. Are you certain the pump is working properly? If it is working, you should see turbulence in the inverter coolant tank when the Prius is in "ready" mode.

It is unfortunate but true that here in Texas the warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles which ever occurs first on hybrid parts which includes the traction battery.

All is not lost though, there are alternatives. Before you spend your money or trade/get a different car, take the time to post the codes here on PC.

Ron