1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 200K what to look for?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jea333, Sep 19, 2014.

1. jea333

jea333 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've found a 2005 Prius with 216K miles, private owner proceeds to charity. They will accept $3000, the car runs few small rust spots and needs tires. Was maintained regularly and garaged. I've read some of the forums other threads regarding high mile vehicles and understand there us risk involved. What I want to know is what should I expect to fail first, second etc and what are the corresponding cost or difficulty for DIY?...also I have extra cash to afford repairs and this is not my only vehicle. Also what should I check when I inspect/drive car? What questions to ask?
    Thanks!
    Jim

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! other than normal car stuff, the hybrid battery is probably the most likely culprit. followed by the inverter, transaxle, engine. perhaps the dash multi function display, air conditioning, etc., these are all expensive on a prius. expect to spend several thousand on each, although much can be saved by the dedicated shade tree mechanic and ebay/salvage yards. i would start with a history of service and repairs, and checking the computer for any fault codes. all the best!(y)

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You say the car runs, are there any Check engine lights or other error messages present?

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another car.

Fifine likes this.
  5. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no practical reason to accept it, but there no reason not to...

I would bet in a few failures, but this forum holds a lot of info to get it going!!

6. StudentofPlato

StudentofPlato New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Your best bet is to see if you can get someone to check it for error codes using an OMDB-II scanner. It might be worth paying a mechanic that specializes in Prii $100 to give it a once over. Other than that, you just never know. Congratulations!