1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Dead Hybrid Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Holly1212, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Holly1212

Holly1212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Orange County California and I bought a 2005 Prius from Craigslist and now my hybrid battery is dead. It has died before and I've tried to get the bad cells replaced for $600 from a mechanic that I've also found on Craigslist. Unfortunately, it appears that those people didn't do a very good job since my batter died again and it hasn't even been a year yet. When I contacted them, they claimed only to have a warranty on the cells that they've replaced and that the dead battery was caused by a different cell. There's no way that I would trust them again with my car. I've learned now never to trust anyone from Craigslist. My car has a bit less than 140,000 miles on it, but it was originally bought in Arizona, and the dealer that I've bought the car from claimed that they've put in a new battery so I'm pretty sure that the California warranty for the battery probably doesn't apply for me. Can someone please give me some suggestions as to what I can do? As you can tell I do not know anything about cars, otherwise I would've never bought this Prius from Craigslist.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! you have several options: 1) you can get a new battery from toyota, 2) you can buy a rebuilt battery with a few years warranty or 3) you can have more cells replaced, which typically last a year or so. it is possible that other cells have gone bad.

3. Holly1212

Holly1212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your reply. Buying a new battery from Toyota would be too expensive for me. I've already tried replacing the cells and that experience has scarred me for life with how shady some mechanics can be. I was wondering how reliable a rebuilt battery would be and what would be the closest and most dependable place for me to get it done.

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do you know the battery has died? who diagnosed the car?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're south of l.a.? jc should know someone.(y) you can check out doorman hybrid drive batteries. they offer rebuilds and i think can hook you up with an installer.

7. Holly1212

Holly1212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I am entirely serious. It is unfortunate that my username is similar to his. I only made it as 1212 because that is my birth date. I know the problem is my battery because it produced the same characteristic as before. The first time my battery failed I had it diagnosed at an independent mechanic who read the code and told me it was because my battery had failed. I then had my battery cells replaced by a mechanic I found on CL, but once again the red triangle and check engine light came on, and I've noticed the battery fluctuated and at one point when I pressed down on the accelerator my car had trouble speeding up.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check out modesty's in culver city or avi's advanced automotive in tejunga.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replacing modules is the cheapest way to get your car running again but replacing modules on a 2005 will be very temporary. The 28 modules are almost 10 years old and any of them can fail at any time. So it'll be like whack a mole until all 28 modules are replaced.

Best solution is to change out the battery pack.

10. Holly1212

Holly1212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I felt like I've wasted $600 by having the cells replaced since it only lasted about 4 months. The mechanic who replaced it promised to replace any other weaken cells too, but he only did 2 and when I asked him about it he said only 2 were bad. Thinking that I had the 1 year warranty that he offered, I didn't pressed him further. Now that my car is broken again, I doubt he was telling the truth. Now I am extremely wary of getting another unscrupulous person to change my batter. So please if anyone can recommend me to a decent person who can fix my car to get it running for at least a few years. I already feel like selling this car and stay away from any more hybrids in the future.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are thinking of selling it, I would be interested in buying it. I'm curious who you used on Craigslist? I hope it's not the Hybrid 911 people

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Holly,

It is unfortunate that you are suffering from the demise of your traction battery.

First and foremost. I don't work for anyone, I am a Prius driver who has researched the product.

FWIW, the symptoms you describe and the scenario you are discussing is typical of someone like yourself who had their battery "rebuilt". The process involves replacing bad cells/modules as the mechanic did which you no longer trust.

I am not going to fault that individual, nor am I going to say that you are incorrect either.

However, the traction battery consists of 28 modules and I believe there are 6 cells in each module. When a cell weakens and or dies over time the modules will fail. Once the modules fail, the dash will light up and as you say the battery will die.

When you are dealing with a older Prius like yours, it becomes obvious that sooner or later one might have the problem you are experiencing.

Now for the fix, you still have options at hand.

#1 Please don't think that just because your battery failed since you had it fixed means the mechanic did not do his or her job. Furthermore, the warranty is only as good as the individual who is providing the warranty. There is a saying, "you get what you pay for".

The options you have at this point are as follows.

1. Do nothing, and sell your car. (Loss of money all the way around)
    2. Have your battery fixed again (replace cells/modules)
    3. Have your battery rebuilt (Same as #2, but also have the cells balanced)
    4. Swap your battery with a recent crash from a junk yard or auto insurance wholesale
    5. Have your battery professionally replaced with a rebuilt. (same as step #3 but done by the pro's)
    6. Have a new battery installed.

With each option, you will spend more money. Furthermore, as you spend more money, your chances of continual operation of your Prius go up. However you need to understand that at some point/time whatever the battery will eventually fail again. The Prius is NOT perfect. No man made object is. There is more than just the big battery in a Prius that can act up over time. The battery is just one of those things that is well publicized.

Best of luck to you,
    Ron (dorunron)

PS If you can afford it, order a battery from Dorman (parts house) and have Toyota put it in for you. Three year warranty with good background of company. Should be reliable for years to come.

Holly1212 likes this.
  13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For peace of mind, contact Luscious Garage in Cali. Talk to the owner, she is a lady and knows Prius well. She can explain it better than I can.

Peace,
    Ron

14. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A reliable replacement battery with a warranty is going to be about 3 times the cost of the service you already received.
    Not sure you have that kind of money available but that is probably the least expensive option that will have some guaranteed longevity.

15. Holly1212

Holly1212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much for everyone's suggestions. I am considering calling around for a rebuilt battery. I've been researching online and found someone with great reviews on Yelp from LA called Hybrid Battery Repair have anyone here had any experience with them?

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You can buy a new OEM battery for ~ $2000 in the LA area. Add on installation cost if you cannot DIY

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unless you know the specifics behind the rebuilding process, you may end up with the same problem 4 months later. Also your battery is no longer original and has been modified before, your core may not be accepted as an exchange. They may end up replacing your bad modules and calling it a day

18. Holly1212

Holly1212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The guy on yelp that I found said that he would be able to replace my battery with all gen 3 cells for $1700. Is that a good deal?

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No that's not a good deal at all, you have no way of knowing if the cells are Gen3. If I were to spend that type of money, I would make sure the person has a proper business license and store front. Not just a YELP review.

Also for $2100, you can buy a Brand New Toyota battery in San Bernardino.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent deal if true, but very unlikely to be true. Much more likely the offer is to replace bad modules with Gen3 modules, leaving you with an unbalanced pack and a bunch of old modules.

This forum has a number of truly reputable rebuilders, Eric Becky for one. Since he is still rebuilding with Gen2 modules, take it as fact that surplus, inexpensive Gen3 modules are not available.

Do you know the saying "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" ?
    Experts find real deals; you will find scams.

#20 SageBrush, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014