1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 EBAY PRIUS AUCTIONS!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KENSTOLLER, Nov 1, 2005.

1. KENSTOLLER

KENSTOLLER New Member

I AM NEW TO THE BOARDS AND HAVE A PACKAGE #6 2005 PRIUS...I PAID LIST PRICE OVER A MONTH AGO AND WAS ABLE TO GET THIS FABULOUS VEHICLE DUE TO A CUSTOMER CANCELLATION..I FOLLOW THE EBAY MARKET AND HAVE NOTICED SOMETHING AS OF LATE..I HAVE SEEN NEW 2005 PRIUS'S BEING OFFERED BY TOYOTA DEALERS...THEY ARE NOT EVEN REACHING THEIR RESERVE!!...THE LIST IS OVER $27,000 AND THEY ARE BRINGING ONLY APPROX $25000!!..(AND NOT SELLING!)..HAS THE MARKET CHANGED DUE TO THE GAS PRICE DECREASE, OR THE NEW 2006 MODELS THAT ARE COMING SOON??...

YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS MATTER...I LOVE THE CAR AND FEEL IT IS WELL-WORTH THE PRICE..BUT...THE CARS ARE NOW AROUND....HAS THE MARKET PEAKED??...HAVE A GREAT DAY GUYS........KEN....

JUST CURIOUS....GAS IS NOW $2.59 PER GALLON IN MY TOWN...LONG ISLAND, NY..AND GOING DOWN!!...HOW QUICK THE PUBLIC FORGETS!!!

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Most likely it is because there's a substantial new Federal tax break (credit) effective 1/1/06, and as it draws closer, word of the tax break apparently having gotten around, buyers are backing off '05s and choosing to wait 2+ months.

There is plenty of discussion of this phenomenon on these threads. Dealers with high allocations (based on previous sales) may find their lots piling up with '05s in Nov.-Dec. unless they---horrors!---discount them some. At the same time, there are still people wanting to get their hands on one for whom the tax break is not a big deal (one doesn't see it until spring '07 when filing '06 taxes) and/or have been on an '05 list for quite a while and/or are of afraid of getting stuck on an '06 list.

It was also reported that Priuses are aplenty on Craigslist.

Toyota painted themselves---and their dealers--- into a corner on this one. The legislation creating the tax break was passed in June.

3. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I for one am grateful - i initially thought i had no chance of getting a 2005 in 2006, but they keep on shipping the 2005s even though everyone without extenuating circumstances is holding out till 2006. Not to mention that in my region, Toyota is only putting out the 'expensive' packages - which pulls a lot of people looking into the Prius as a cheap car out of the running. melikes reductions in demand.

i can really only afford a package 6 if i get a 2006. but what i WANT is a 2005 Tideland Pearl with a Package 6 =) I really think that if i'm willing to travel, i stand a chance of getting a 2005 pretty well discounted if i time it just right.

I stand vigilant watch of the SE region allocations, i'm hoping for another few shipments of 2005, though i haven't got a clue why toyota would do it, i've got a sneaking suspicion we're gonna keep seeing them. maybe thats just hope =P

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

A dealer here told me he's getting "heavy" allocations of '05s right through the end of Nov.

5. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

thats the word on the streets. i cant understand it, it makes very little business sense. but there shalt be no complaining about stock pilup from me!

6. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am pretty sure the 05's bought new in jan 06 will still qualify for the tax credit, so the dealers won't have any problem selling them for the lower 05 MSRP.
    people will be snaping them up.
    If toyota was smart they would send most of the remaining 05's to states where the HOV lane access applies to the prius. The buyers in those states are going nuts trying to buy the prius so they can get the HOV access stickers.

7. c4

c4 Active Member

As I understand the way the tax credit is supposed to work, a car (regardless of its year) will only qualify for the tax credit if its in-service date is in '06.. If a dealer has done the paperwork to get the car in '05, its effective in-service will be in '05, even if it is not sold to someone until '06.. I have a feeling many people will get burned by this practice..

8. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I am not an expert on this , but I think the "in-service-date" is when a person buys the car from the dealer and registers it. so if a dealer sells you a 05 prius in jan 06 and you register it in 06 then I would think you can claim the 06 tax credit.

Please, check with a tax person before you buy to make certain !!!

9. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ken, dude, you have got to stop screaming. Please, just push the little "caps lock" key once so that the little light goes off, then press the shift key each time you need a capital letter. Please. It's time.

Nate

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :huh: As a habit, I follow the eBay Prius auctions to keep informed on the actual selling prices of the '04 and '05 Prii. Although many fail to reach the "Reserve," those that do sell provide real life clues to the value of my '04.

Over a year back, I bought my Prius in an eBay auction. With ~4,000 miles on the odometer, I paid within dollars of the MSRP "new" price, avoiding the $3,000 - $5,000 "market adjustments" then prevailing. You might say that my "mark up" was 4,000 miles. My Prius was originally bought by a Toyota employee for a family member who died. A one-way flight and drive home was the answer. A CarFAX VIN check coupled with assurances in eBay Motors helped assure me.

11. kente777

kente777 New Member

I believe the law is that you must take DELIVERY after Jan. 1. It doesn't matter how long it's been sitting on the lot, and it doesn't matter what year it is, though it must be a new hybrid, not used.

Ken

12. Trojan

Trojan New Member

Ken, for the love of God, please turn off your caps lock key...

13. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

I don't understand why caps upset people so. I hear people say they're supposed to represent "shouting" (now "screaming"!) Do a lot of people feel that way?

W hAt'S hARd FoR mE tO rEaD is this way my teenaged daughter types. <_<

14. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually according to Toyota they have less than a "day's supply" so I doubt if 05 cars will sit until Jan 2006...