1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 - Intermittent AC Air Conditioning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Six7390GT, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Six7390GT

Six7390GT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've searched, but didn't see this issue.
    My Prius has 198K, runs great and has been trouble free. This week it started acting up. The AC will run for a few minutes, blowing very cold, then will blow warm air for a period of time, perhaps 10 minutes, then will blow cold again for a few minutes. It will repeat this several times, then will blow cold until the end of the trip, about another 30 minutes.
    Anyone know how to troubleshoot - fix this?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe you need a recharge?

3. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My blower went out a couple months ago in my 05. The A/C would not turn on when I start the car. When I run over a rut in the road, it jolted the blower back into place and started blowing cold air again. I had to replace it. I think the fuse was also messed up. $300 in all

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The first question is whether the A/C computer is trying to tell you what the problem is. Here is how to read the trouble codes, if any. You don't need any kind of special tool to read the A/C codes, it's just a matter of holding the right buttons.

The codes can be looked up in the repair manual. If you post them here, someone may have the information at hand.

-Chap

5. Six7390GT

Six7390GT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info and the link. I checked my AC codes and saw 00 flashing in the top right corner of the display. Anyone know what the code is?

6. Six7390GT

Six7390GT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took the car out for a half hour drive, and the AC blew cold the entire trip. I rechecked the AC codes at the end of the trip and have a flashing 21. Anyone know what that is?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Probably it was dark at the end of your trip when you checked the codes? I think 21 refers to a low signal from the ambient light sensor. In dim light, it is normal to see that code. If you have it in bright sunlight, that would mean a problem involving the sensor.

I'm saying this from memory ... checking me with the manual is never a bad idea.

-Chap

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The system probably has a tiny bit of moisture in it which is freezing in the expansion valve orifice, preventing AC operation. Once the moisture melts, then the system can function until it freezes up again.

If this is the case, the remedy is to replace the cooler dryer, then apply vacuum to the system, then recharge the system with refrigerant.