1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Audio not working correctly after battery change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by _DNA_, Aug 18, 2012.

1. _DNA_

_DNA_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone. I recently swapped out my 12V aux battery for an optima yellowtop. This solved my problems trying to start the car and generally has been a good thing. Strangely, since I've done this upgrade, the audio in the car is a bit screwed up. What I mean by this is that I can still hear the radio or the iPod (dic installation kit), but I can't adjust the volume level with either the knob, or the steering wheel. When I go to the "Audio" screen, it doesn't allow me to adjust the bass or treble like it used to. Another side effect is that the car no longer beeps when I touch the display. I have tried disconnecting the battery again to reset the system but that doesn't seem to solve the problem. Anyone have any idea? My next guess is to uninstall the Dice ipod hookup and reset the computer by moving the battery.

Any thoughts?

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are not the first person to have minor problems after a battery change. Most here on PC suggest to make certain that the cables are mounted correctly (not upside down) and also to make certain that the ground wire is making a good connection to the frame. It would also be a good idea to check the voltage with a load and without as jdenenberg has outlined in the past.

A fully charged new yellow top should read 12.7 or better with no load and about 12.5 or so with ignition on via the MFD readout. A fully charged new yellow top is supposed to measure 12.9 when standing alone with a volt meter attached.

If the voltage's don't look right, then there is definitely a problem with a connection or the battery itself.

DO-IT-YOURSELF TEST PROCEDURE (thanks to jdenenberg):
    - Without brake pedal, press the Power button once and release to enter ACC mode
    - Press and hold the MFD Info button, then turn the headlights on and off three times to enter Maintenance mode; release Info button
    - Press “Menu” (on screen)
    - Press “Display Check”
    - Press “Vehicle Signal Check” - the battery voltage is shown and should be about 12.4 to 12.8 Volts (normal for an unloaded battery)
    - Again without brake pedal, press Power button and release to put a current load on the battery - the voltage should stay above 12.0V (if less than 12.0V the battery is not well, or there is a fault or unusual load somewhere)
    - Press brake pedal and press Power button once to enter "Ready" mode - the battery is now charging at about 14V (if less than 13.6V or more than 14.4 there may be a problem with the charging circuit)
    - Turn car OFF to leave Maintenance mode

If you still have trouble after that and everything checks out good, then I would suspect the DICE setup.