1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Minesweeper, May 4, 2015.

1. Minesweeper

Minesweeper New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My 2005 Prius, which is just under 150K miles, had its HV battery fail last week (all the lights came on, including the red warning light). Unfortunately, I don't live in California. :(

I took the car into a dealership to ask for a cost estimate, and they came back with $3581 to replace the battery, $450 to replace the water pump, and $600 to change the coolant for control valve. (They said all of these are broken and need to be replaced.) Does this sound about right?

The car is only worth around $6,000, so I'm not sure if spending $4600 to repair it makes sense ....

#1 Minesweeper, May 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! time to sell it if you can't diy. it would be ridiculous to start pouring money in unless you want to go the sketchy remanufactured battery route.

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you have friends who are somewhat handy automotive-wise, Replace the HV Battery yourself. Search online for "toyota OEM part" to find Toyota dealers who sell parts on line. A new HV Battery should run $2100-$2400. However, there have been reports of some online dealers not wanting to sell to a lay person who isn't a mechanic or work for an auto repair shop/parts store. This part would have to be picked-up, as most dealers won't ship.

Find another shop that works on Priuses to get the water pump and 3-way coolant control valve replaced. Since these two items are in different cooling loops (water pump=engine loop, 3-way valve=inverter loop), best to have the coolant drained and filled for both loops; only charge should be for the coolant, as proper procedure is to drain each loop to replace affected part. 3-way valve may prevent cabin heater from working properly if stuck in the wrong position; you'll want that part working when winter comes for you.

Dealer service and parts coupons could be found online at various dealer websites. All dealers will accept another dealers service/part coupon. Costco has 15% off parts coupon at participating dealers. AAA generally gives you 10% off parts/labor.

If you have a friend w/ a truck and car trailer/dolly, maybe a road trip to Scottsburg, Indiana, for all the repairs; Prius hybrids sales and service Scottsburg Indiana.

If your in the market for a new Prius, maybe negotiate a new Prius, and before signing the paperwork, pull out a New HV Battery Contingency: Dealer and Toyota Customer Care are to split the cost of a new HV Battery installed into current Prius. If no, leave and get a non-Toyota. I can't see them loosing a sale over maybe $700 cost to each (dealer & Toy Cust Care). If you were in a CARB State, they would be providing a battery free of charge right now.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The valve is also in the engine coolant loop, BTW.