1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius- Battery went dead- Error reading "transmission lock mechanism abnormal"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by C Jakel, Jan 30, 2015.

1. C Jakel

C Jakel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Battery went dead after alarm went off in parking lot. Got the error reading "transmission lock mechanism is abnormal. park your car flat place and set parking brake."

I have seen that i need to replace the battery. I will replace ASAP. But 2 questions:

1. Once I replace, will the error code automatically go off or reset or will i need to do something to clear the message.

2. Best place to get 12v battery at dealer or are there any other good options?

Thanks

Longinus876 likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, it should go away. i prefer the oem, but some like the optima from elearnaid.com or exude from auto zone, or duracell from the battery store. whichever you buy, make sure it's 13 volts before installing, or trickle charge it. the car does a poor job of increasing the voltage. all the best!(y)

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1. Once you recharge the battery the error should go away. If not the first time you may have to stop and restart to clear.

2. The dealer is the best place to get an OEM replacement. These are AGM type batteries with vent tubes since the batteries are in the cabin with you. I just replaced mine and the cost was $220 for a 7 year warranty battery.

4. C Jakel

C Jakel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    update....after jumping battery and driving for awhile, the error code went away....should i run the diag to check the battery and just keep running it? Or should I still replace the battery?? Thanks for the quick response yall!

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If the battery is over 5 years old I would recommend replacing it based on feedback from this site. If less then run the battery testing. If you have questions post the results of the battery testing on here and you can get feedback.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    After you jump started it you need to keep it in Ready (or just drive it) for 2…8 hours to charge the 12V battery. Or you can use external charger.

Longinus876 likes this.
  7. C Jakel

C Jakel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If i run for 2 hours will I still need to use trickle charger for 8 hours? or will this fully charge it?

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It will probably charge it good enough but it would be best to trickle charge it to full capacity overnight.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you run it down by leaving a light on or anything? if not, you should replace it. oh wait, did the alarm run it down? how long was it on for?

10. C Jakel

C Jakel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it was in a plot and alarm went off, but no one knew whose car it was so they didnt notify us...no idea how long it was on....when wife finally noticed the lights were blinking a little then went dead

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you may be okay then, but i would keep an eye on it. winding these little batteries down is often a death knell. any idea how old it is?

12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you don't have a battery charger, why not just get a new "smart" battery charger that is capable of charging Wet/Maintenance Free, AGM, and Gel batteries?

Many to choose from on Amazon.
    Amazon.com: agm battery charger: Automotive

I have the Schumacher SSC-1500A/CA charger. Good value at $43, as it can charge the Prius battery and traditional batteries. Just make the settings, then walk away.

13. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It depends. If your 12V battery can take charge good then 2 hours may get it full. If it can’t then it may take 8 hours or it may never get full.

14. C Jakel

C Jakel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here is a pic of signal check in diagnostic mode....12.4 on battery...I did it again later after running headlight s for a little bit and showed 12.3...should I still trickle charge our just let it be

Attached Files:

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're probably okay, how old is it?

16. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It’s charged enough. You can test your 12V battery condition more by pressing power again to get to ign-on and putting headlights and rear defroster on and checking the voltage then. If it’s more than 11v its good and if it’s less than 10,3v you definitely need new one.

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the battery is 11V or less with this load, it may be good, but it is at the discharged end of the spectrum so will benefit from a proper full charge.

18. Longinus876

Longinus876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you just say that battery charger will charge the hybrid battery?

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, he didn't. He's talking about AGM and flooded Pb/Acid 12 V batteries. The Schumacher will charge both types.