1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius display panel dead AND GPS does not work correctly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dcpfamily, Dec 12, 2013.

1. dcpfamily

dcpfamily New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tonight I got into my car hit the power button and waited for the display panel to light up. .........

It didn't!

Totally black so that I cannot see how fast I am going, if the lights are on, or any other indicator you need to drive safely and within the law. The car ran fine, could see left or right blinker lights on the panel but nothing else... Needed to go somewhere using the GPS navigator, input the location, added the location and hit guide, the usual voice instructions did what it normally does so I started to drive, the voice told me to turn right,,I did, then noticed the position indicator was not moving on the map and the voice stopped giving me instructions. The map moved right or left depending on my movement but my position did not move on the screen. There was no way I could find my way using the GPS. About 10 minutes into the drive the position locator started working and I could see the blue arrows indicating the direction I needed to go but no turn by turn voice instructions or warnings.

About 40 minutes into the drive the check engine light lit up on the otherwise dark display panel. I did not make it to my destination, and went home worried that something else might go crazy on my.

The car has about 180,000 miles on it and has not had many problems other than lights and a dead aux. battery which had to be replaced one year ago.

Have never had any problems like this before. About two months ago had to replace both of my headlights because they would go off intermittently while driving, and the right side brake light assembly which the brake light stopped working. Cost me over $100.00 to fix a bad brake light!

Does anyone have any ideas what is happening and is it normal for both the GPS and display panel to go bad together?

Thanks for any responses

David

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved from the Prius v forums to the Gen II forums.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two