1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius maintenance schedule Q

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by poweredon, May 27, 2014.

1. poweredon

poweredon New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 2005 Prius with 19k miles. Unbelievable, I know, but true. Both batteries are in good working order. I have the maintenance schedule and will continue to follow it as the previous owner did. However, since the car is nine years old, would you suggest that any other maintenance be completed on the car? Thanks.

Scallywag likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How were you able to get a 9 year old car with only 19k miles on it? Do you have any records of what maintenance that's been done so far?

3. poweredon

poweredon New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was a Sunday driver. I have all the records from previous owner, and all service was completed at the dealership. All the recalls have been completed; 12v battery replaced in 2011. Other than that the oil has been changed yearly and tires rotated.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Absolutely incredible! 19k miles 2005.

I would change out the following, just because of the age. If there are no issues, this would be it.

1. Transaxle fluid change
    2. Brake fluid change (optional)
    3. Coolant drain & refill. Both engine and inverter coolant
    4. Check if there is a leak with the engine water pump, if there is, you can change it at the same time as the coolant change.
    5. Check your shocks and struts for leaks

Since this car was serviced at the dealer, I would think there's nothing leaking on it or else they would have brought it up. They just like telling owners about possible problems with their car.

Scallywag likes this.
  5. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow! I bought 2005 last December with 66k miles, and I thought that was a find. Nice going, and welcome to Prius Chat!

6. poweredon

poweredon New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your replies.

I couldn't believe it. I still can't, but there is no sign of tampering with the odometer -- checked with dealer and Carfax. It belonged to an older couple, who only drove it once or twice a week.

We love it, and wish we had gotten one sooner!

7. poweredon

poweredon New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to follow up... I scheduled an appt with the dealer service dept. They told me not to change the transaxle fluid, but to put in new spark plugs. Does that sound right? I'm inclined from the recommendations on this thread and from what I've read to change the transaxle fluid, as well as the coolant and brake fluid, but I haven't seen anything about replacing the spark plugs. Thoughts?

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The main reason I would change the plugs is to make sure there not stuck in there. The plugs will be fine but with that age the threads tend to get corroded in the aluminum head. Dissimilar metals works against you there.

But maybe don't even worry about that just get the trans fluid changed. Trans fluid for sure. Its probably pretty acidic from sitting in there so long and hardly used.

9. JasonGoalie34

JasonGoalie34 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And I got my 2004 with 53,000 miles 2 weeks ago, and I thought THAT was a find!

You certainly hold the record for "oldest youngest" Prius I've ever seen :)

10. poweredon

poweredon New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the dealer won't touch the transaxle fluid. Says it's good for the life of the car. Not sure why they would turn down the money. I'm gonna shop around a bit tomorrow to see what I can come up with.

The service person at the dealer quoted me the following:
    1) $100 for brake fluid change
    2) $150 for coolant change
    3) $115 for new plugs

Does that seem fair? I will shop around, but just wondering...

Thanks again to all.

11. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's true--the service department usually won't touch the transaxle fluid. I bet most owners don't change transaxle fluid but it is a popular thing to do among the forum participants. I'm going back and forth about it with the 46k mile 2007. I may do it sometime between now and 60k (although it'll take me seven years to get there).

The service department also suggested a brake fluid change. I'm not going to worry about that though, at least not any time soon.

The services prices sound fair. The coolant change is worth having them do, since it's so difficult to get all the air bubbles out of the coolant loops. You can also put it off for another year if you want. I think that's a 10-year thing.

If you want to replace the spark plugs (I'd probably put that off too, myself), that's a potential DIY item. It takes a little disassembly to get to them, but it's nothing too complex. Here's a video:

12. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The only thing I'd have done on that list is the coolant. Everything else will surely be ok. As for the plugs, there's a reason the change interval is 120k miles. Because they last even longer than that. Save your money. I know you want to take good care of this car but lets face it, it has been taken good care of. You don't need to do anything special, just keep taking good care of it.

JC91006 likes this.
  13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 on not needing spark plugs. If you are afraid they will get stuck in there because of the time factor, you can always take them out, clean the threads and put them back in. They are good for a MINIMUM 120k miles.

14. poweredon

poweredon New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a great forum. Thanks to everyone for their input. I really appreciate it.

I'm gonna relax, save some money, do the maintenance items overtime, and enjoy my new car.

Thanks again.

usnavystgc likes this.