1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Steering heavy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jayw13702, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    my 2005 Prius suffers from heavy steering, however It only happens at a very specific point when turning the wheel.
    if i turn the wheel a quarter turn to the right it becomes heavy and will not self centre, i have jacked the car up and nothing appears to be loose, tyre wear is consistant and there are no noises or error messages that indicate something is wrong.
    I had the steering recall done about 3 months ago, it is only the last week or so that this seems to have started.

thanks in advance

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There might be codes in it anyways. You should check it Toyota hybrid capable scanner. If you want to check yourself you should get techstream. Then if you checked lower ball joints track rod ends and steering bearing on top of strut (I think joints should be really bad to cause this so it shouldn’t be that hard to spot) it has to be problem with power steering system itself.

Then you can adjust zero point of system with techstream. I don’t think it will correct the problem but it’s free.

What does steering feel when car isn’t on? If it’s hard to feel anything you can jack up both front wheels.

If it's similar thought travel then its likely problem with steering column, motor, steering ecu (I don’t think that’s likely if there is no fault codes and you can adjust zero point) or wiring (not likely since it works partially). In this case probably easiest to install used steering column with motor.

If it feels bad in the same spot it’s probably steering gear.

#2 valde3, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

4. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thanks for the replies guys.

She has 93K on her, its used as a taxi and i am generally careful with kerbs ect as its my own car and time off the road is money not being earned.

I jacked the car up on the weekend and did some pulling and pushing, nothing appears to be loose or damaged, there was no excessive movement in the road wheel when pulling it about.

It only goes 'tight' when its self-centering from a right handed turn, it goes very tight when the wheel spokes are at the 12 0'clock/6 o'clock position, just before the road wheels are central, at this point it stops self-centering and given the chance the car would just carry on going round in a circle, you have to steer it back to centre.

Im beginning to suspect the rack assembly, i wonder if the pinion has taken a knock in the past and this has caused this, i bought the car second hand and on close inspection there's evidence of a front end respray (overspray on wiring)

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did you test what steering feels like when car is off? Steering rack is the same part as steering gear that I mentioned last in fault finding.

6. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I didnt check it with the car off, however if i turn the steering when the car is stationary and switched on it feels no different, but the moment the car is on the move it does feel different.

Yes, steering rack=steering gear, it is the same spot and same feeling each time.

thanks for your input

7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Lift both front wheels of the ground and with power off you should feel that hard spot pretty easy.
    -If you do it’s probably steering gear (steering rack).
    -If you don’t then you should first adjust the zero point of steering with techstream software. It’s not expensive and it’s very useful when working with Prius or other Toyotas and even other cars. If it isn’t working properly after that then it’s steering column, (steering)motor, (steering)ecu or wiring.

8. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    we finally got to the bottom of the issue.

It was the steering gear, it was totally shot. All due to water ingress.

We checked the boots and they were sealed and were strapped to the body of the steering gear securely, we only found out about the water when we undid the boots and it flowed out freely!! All brown and rusty and full of metal shards, we believe this to be a bearing that was seizing due to water ingress (that would have caused the initial stiffness) once it got too bad the bearing collapsed and the stiffness disappeared, from there the gear developed a lot of freeplay and displayed signs of track rod end ball joint failure.

About 6 months ago Toyota carried out the steering knuckle recall on the car, the garage who fixed it have guessed that they have not installed the rubber boot that sits between the steering rack and firewall of the car, as a result the water has got in and damaged the steering gear.

I spoke to Toyota about this, they said i couldn't prove they had caused it, my reply was they couldn't prove they didn't cause it!! So we had a deadlock and i was out of pocket for a new steering gear.

It hasnt put me off the car but has soured my view of Toyota main dealers

valde3 likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I noticed on my 2008 that my steering effort has increased after the recall too. They replaced my steering shaft.