1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 prius wont engage drive... abs related issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Brendank, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Brendank

Brendank New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced my hybrid battery with one I bought off ebay for $1000 installed. Now when trying to start the car again for the first time with new battery, it will not start all the way and go into gear. it begins to fire-up then just doesn't. it flashes ready 4 times then when usually the speedometer would throw up a zero, there is nothing. the codes I got were c1241 c1259 c1310 c1378 the abs icon is displayed with every code. I erased these then ran again and still had the actuator code. Does this mean that I need to replace the actuator or is there maintenance that can suffice? or do you think its something dif all together and it should start with that code?
    I have been getting a beeping noise when I touch the brake pedal for a while now. it goes off after the car fully turns on..

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! how many miles on her? what are you using for code reader?

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Who did the install? Are you absolutely certain that the orange safety plug on the side of the battery case is completely engaged? Many have not pushed the lever down for that final click into place. Do you hear the three relays in the battery case go through their sequence (click....click click) when you attempt to start?

4. Brendank

Brendank New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I hear the 3 clicks. And have the plug down. The accumulator pump malfunction code is still there so I don't think my brakes are working properly. How should I trouble shoot the brakes? And could that keep the car from starting?

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, next question: what are you using to do the scan? If it is not one of the Prius specific devices, like the mini VCI, it is likely not showing you the errors from all the ECU's. If there is a problem with the HV battery system, the car will not start.

At this point, I think the brake system is probably secondary, as it is very unlikely that there would be a brake problem suddenly appearing as a result of doing battery work. Make sure that the 12V battery is good and the connections tight, as that can cause brake symptoms to appear that are a result of sagging 12V bus voltage.

#5 nh7o, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12 volt, can't believe i missed that.(n)

7. Brendank

Brendank New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought and installed a brand new prius 12 volt optimo battery today, to be sure that wasn't the issue, plus I don't have another vehicle and need to get to work at 5:00 a.m evry morning :/
    I am using an innova scanner model 3030 f. 100$ From Walmart. I erased all the existing codes (using the scanner). When I re-started the car I didn't even touch the brake peddal. The only codes I got were c1259 (hv system regenerative malfunction) and c1310 (malfunction in hv system). I'm still having exact same problem

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. When you install the orange traction battery interlock, you first pivot the lever 90 degrees. Then you slide the lever down to lock it in place. If you do not do that, you will get C1259. Both C1259 and C1310 point to an issue with the hybrid vehicle system, most likely due to the interlock switch not being properly engaged.

2. If you still have a problem after ensuring the interlock is properly installed, you may need to purchase Mini VCI to determine what codes are being logged by the hybrid vehicle ECU. Don't expect a generic OBD-II code reader to be able to read all of the DTC that potentially can be logged by the many Prius ECUs.

9. Brendank

Brendank New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok thank you. Where can I get a mini Vci?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    amazon? ebay?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you check the voltage of the new 12 volt?

12. Brendank

Brendank New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there anywhere I can buy a mini Vci today? In phoenix

13. Brendank

Brendank New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My hybrid battery went out in July and literally blew up a cell. I started taking it apart to replace the cells myself but got in a little over my head and just bought one off eBay and had it installed by the technician there brought it to me. After practicing on my first battery I knew my way around them a bit and since then have replaced cells for a few other and all were successful. Now the one I bought and had professionally installed by "high voltage solutionz" has gone bad. They said they would replace it for free but the tech wouldn't get to me for a week. After speaking with the tech personally one week turned into three weeks and now we're going onto five weeks but in the meantime he has sent me two good cells which I installed myself a few days ago. Now over the phone that tech has instructed me to buy that OB D2 scanner and now is telling me that the inverter is the problem and that's why my battery was dropping cells. I found a used inverter here for $200 with a 30 day moneyback gaurauntee. I'm going to swap them tonight.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to buy it via amazon.com which has a Phoenix fulfillment center.

I would not take the word of that tech without independent confirmation via Mini VCI. But it sounds like you are pressed for time since you don't have alternate transportation means. I hope the new inverter solves your problem, good luck.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    these are the times you wish you bought a corolla.

16. Brendank

Brendank New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol yeah if it gets fixed within the next day or two I will still think it's worth it to have the prius. Love this car (except for this prob)

17. Brendank

Brendank New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone know of a good step by step Set of instructions for swapping a gen 2 prius hybrid dc/dc inverter?

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    techinfo.toyota.com

19. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  20. Brendank

Brendank New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you that selidori link is great. How can I get book 22 so I can figure out how to drain my fluid?