1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius air conditioning intermittently working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chavezone, Jun 5, 2014.

1. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I own a 2006 Toyota Prius with 130k miles on it, the blower for the a/c seems to turn on when it wants to, usually I have to restart the car 3-4 times to get it turn on, the a/c pump and system does seem to be working because when I switch the a/c off after not blowing and switch the button to let outside air in the air that is forced thru is cold which leads me to believe that it is a blower problem. The engine also bogs down from the a/c pump running

Any help will be much appreciated

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are many reports of the blower motor, which is behind the glove box, being intermittent. You should certainly be able to hear it if it is running. Try giving the motor a good thump and see if it comes on. The cause, if it is indeed the motor, is due to the brushes sticking, or being worn such that they no longer contact the commutator. It can be replaced with a used unit, or opened and inspected if you are a DIY sort.

That is hard to imagine as the A/C compressor is electrical, and has no connection to the engine. The A/C runs fine without the engine running at all.

3. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your response. I just bought a new fan and will replace it and hope that fixes it.

4. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just wanted to follow up, I replaced the fan and seems to have fixed the problem. the a/c comes on everytime without fail.

Thanks for the help guys

5. briazen

briazen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where did you buy the replacement fan and about how much do they cost? Can you post the Toyota part number, too? Much thanks, chavezone!

I have a 2005 Prius, am the original owner, and am having a similar air conditioner issue.

6. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought it on Amazon for $2 cheaper than the current price, it is still cheaper there than anywhere else, here is the link to the blower and cabin air filter I bought, was a relatively easy job o do.

Good Luck

Blower Link

Cabin Air Filter Link

briazen likes this.
  7. briazen

briazen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wonderful! Thanks for the info/links!! :)