1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius - Codes P1118 and P0A93

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pnufer, Jul 19, 2007.

1. pnufer

pnufer Junior Member

I purchased a 2006 Prius (13,500 miles) a couple of days ago, and this is my first post. This looks like a good online community, and I'm happy to be a part of it.

However, my Prius is a bit on the ill side. This morning, after about 20 minutes of driving, the MIL, CEL, VSC and brake warning lights all came on at the same time. Lost cruise control and A/C. VSC and brake lights reset after power cycling, and cruise and AC. MIL and CEL stay on. I repeated the issue on the way home this afternoon.

Stopped at my local Autozone, where the friendly scanner pulled the following codes: P1118 (fuel/air metering) and P0A93 (inverter cooling). Does anyone have more info on these codes. I have a dealer service appointment set up for mid-next week, but I don't think I should drive the Prius again until it goes to the dealer in case one of the issues is an overheating inverter.

Your info, expertise and feedback are appreciated in advance!

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pnufer @ Jul 19 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]481880[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your problems. Your dash is lit up like a Christmas tree and the best the dealer can do is an APPOINTMENT next week. :angry: The idiot book says to take the car to the dealer and stop driving it.

Did you buy it from a Toyota dealer or this Toyota dealer? I'm not a mechanic but suspect something is seriously wrong. If this happened to me I'd call Toyota to see if they could work an attitude adjustment with the dealer. If that doesn't work I'd drive it to the dealer, block their service entrance, and tell them the car won't move. If they don't get it in the shop it's time to make a scene in the showroom. IMO no excuse for this level of service.

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The 20 minutes of driving before anything happened is a very strong pointer to inverter cooling problems. The fact that it repeated later is even more evidence. The inverter overtemp DTC is one of those that is usually not a indirect result of something else. If the inverter heats up more after the warnings, then it will shutdown to avoid damage. Minimum driving till this is fixed is the right decision.

Now when I have had problems that I want the dealer to solve, I limp straight to the dealer and get the ball rolling. Your inverter is a warranty item that you have paid for already....including a rental car while the Prius is Out Of Commission. Appointments are for oil changes and periodic maintenance. Warnings like you are getting are safety issues...straight to get fixed. JimN is right, call Toyota USA if the dealer is unable to handle safety issues or fullfill their warranty obligations.

4. pnufer

pnufer Junior Member

In the dealership's defense, I originally scheduled the visit online as periodic maintenance through ToyotaOwnersOnline.com, then included the additional information in the comments field.

I did some online research on the codes and got Toyota-specific info on both. They both point to an inverter cooling problem:
    • P1118 (Toyota) Coolant temperature sensor circuit high for coolant heat storage system
    • P0A93 (Toyota) (Subcode 346 or 347) Inverter coolant pump not running
    My Prius and I will be at the service department at Metro Toyota in Kalamazoo when it opens later this morning at 7:30. I'll provide an update after they've completed the repair/replacement work.

Thanks again,
    -Paul

5. OahuPrius2009

OahuPrius2009 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last night our 2009 Prius flashed the check engine light, the triagle with an exclamation mark, and a car with an exclamation mark. Just returned from the dealer. They diagnosed and replaced part P0A93 - the water pump assembly. We have 25,000 miles on our car and bought it new. Replacing the pump -- all of the warning lights went out. Our servicing was at no cost.
    We learned that our system requires water circulation to keep the DC to AC converter cool. When the pump fails I guess you can overheat and maybe do permanent damage if you keep driving.
    Good luck and Aloha.

6. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Welcome to this forum. The first thing you need to do is to check your 12V Aux. battery at the back of your car. Left side of the trunk. A live expired 12V aux. battery will welcome you by the Christmas tree dash board. Change the battery from a dealer or order the famous yellowtop Optium battery and chang it bu your self.
    Good luck.