1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius getting Code P0A63 and transmission slipping

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dpeverhart, Mar 23, 2014.

1. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a 2006 Prius with 103k miles that runs and drives great but sometimes with no warning will display the red triangle and check engine light and seem to slip out of gear. All I can do is coast to a safe spot to reset the codes. Once I reset the code it runs fine again.

The code I'm getting on my Scangauge 2 is P0A63. There seems to be very little to no information on this so I'm at a loss here.

I did change the transmission fluid and it looked normal with no metal fragments stuck to the drain plug magnet.

This is the only information I could find in a search:
    Service Bulletin Number: 02505
    Date of Bulletin: May 24, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number: 10015880
    Component: Engine and Engine Cooling: Engine
    Summary: Malfunction indicator lamp on with diagnostic trouble code P0A60, P0A63, P0A72, P0A78, or P0A7A. *TT

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P0A63 means that there is a problem with a sensor that monitors current flow from the inverter to the transaxle. If the car had been in a front-end accident, perhaps there is a fault in the wiring harness between the hybrid vehicle ECU and inverter. Otherwise, the inverter probably has failed.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you were able to get some sort of computer enabled instrumentation going, like Priidash, then you could see the real time data available form the current sensors. Knowing what was normal, you might be able to detect the changes when the DTC is logged.

4. Fazrin

Fazrin New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi
    I am getting the same code P0A63 as well. And under ABS and VSC C1313 and C1311. The warning lights comes on and th3 battery power cuts off, only the engine runs and gear slips. So may I know how you fixed your car and what did you do to get it rite

5. Fazrin

Fazrin New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My car got th3 same problems. Thwre was a problems with transport 12v battery so the inverter wasn't functioning properly and the car Engine will make a noise not as normal and if I accelerate then no power. There was a whole lot of codes. When I replaced the battery the codes got cleared except for P0A63. If I clear the faults then it gets cleared but as soon as I start the car and if I accelerate or put it into D or R then the car jerk and warning lights comes on.
    It wasn't in any accidents so do you think it's an inverter failure?
    Or have to clear the codes and reset by a Toyota Dealer with a toyota kit?
    Or transaxle problem?
    Or the sensor that monitors between the inverter and transaxle?
    Yeah the inverter coolant is below low in the can

Kolso0713 likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    P0A63 may mean the inverter failed or it could be a wiring harness problem. Consult techinfo.toyota.com for repair manual info about how to troubleshoot the issue.

7. Fazrin

Fazrin New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick
    One more question. If the inverter failed then will it charge the battery because the battery is being charged from the MG1 and Engine via the inverter rite? because mine it's being charged by engine but when the car moves while the foot is off from the pedal then it doesn't charge.

Kolso0713 likes this.
  8. Kolso0713

Kolso0713 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Fazrin I have the same problem with my car 2007 Car have 215,000 miles ,the car runs and it’s in great condition some time does the same issue I have to clear the codes for me to keep driving once the car it’s on it’s not doing all day long if I’m not turning off , what was your results if you fix the issue on what was the problem , Thank you